Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 12:52:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter camping way, way north  (Read 821 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »

Spent a few days in Grand Marais Mn, very close to the Canadian border and lake Superior.  Cross country skiing was fantastic, which is why I was there.  Strangely enough I was the only RV in the park, what is wrong with you people.

Couple of issues, my espar air heater stopped working the second day, blower would start, but no ignition.  Will be checking it out this week.  The other issue is the bus would not start when I hit the ignition key.  Turned out to be a stuck starter solenoid.   Going from hot to cold, moisture gets into the coil and it freezes in place.  I sharp rap on the solenoid and we were good to go.  Yes you can start 6V92s in zero temps.  Block heater helps:)

The scariest issue, was as a drove out of the park, and had to stop for the very first time, I had minimal brakes, it was not fun.  I must have gotten ice in the brake lines, when it warmed up problem went away.  No I did not drive very far when the brakes were down.  Is my analysis of the problem correct?

All in all it was a good trip, and with the exception of the frozen brakes fairly boring - boring good.

Chuckd
1979 Prevost Liberty conversion
Stillwater Mn

sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:08:57 AM »

Yes you can't beat cold clean fresh air !                                        dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:21:56 AM »

Unless it is nice warm tropical breezes!

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »

The scariest issue, was as a drove out of the park, and had to stop for the very first time, I had minimal brakes, it was not fun.  I must have gotten ice in the brake lines, when it warmed up problem went away.  No I did not drive very far when the brakes were down.  Is my analysis of the problem correct?

Any moisture in any lines or valves is going to cause problems in the cold. That said, if you have an air drier that has been serviced properly, you should not be having those problems. If you don't have a drier, you will need to keep your brake system protected with air brake antifreeze, available at most truck stops and a lot of parts stores. Even with a drier, I like to drain the wet tank. One of those remote operated drain valves with a lanyard from NAPA is what I use. Get someone to install it it you don't know what your are doing. You can get killed pretty easily.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »

We are loving Michigan this time of year! Lots of snow...and cold...and some rain too. It's been pretty cold. We've had single digits many times. Bus is very cozy. Something about hearing the wind and snow hit the roof and knowing you're tucked inside...must just be us. My wife and I love it. But yes, there's drama...frozen brake lines, frozen water lines, frozen fingers. All comes with the territory. My latest drama was moving the coach on Thursday into position and getting it level...during a freezing rain storm. Bus was stuck and had to be rocked out no less than 6 times. We finally got her parked and level...and now only have to deal with a frozen sewer line  Grin I couldn't live life any other way. Bus fulltiming has to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: