Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 11:17:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entry door alignment on my 4104  (Read 1365 times)
vonprum

Here she is the day I bought it

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2013, 05:56:23 AM »

Thanks for all the advice in my previous post. I just acquired a 1957 4104. The first issue I want to tackle is the ill-fitting entry door. It still has the inside opener attached but the door just does not quite close all the way and is a bit askew. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

I also need to replace the rear luggage compartment door on the passenger side.  Anyone out there know of one or can you point me to a bus wrecking yard near Portland, OR?   Smiley

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:52:30 AM »

Are you sure it is the door and not the frame welcome to the world of a 56 year bus those old bus bodies get twisted over the years
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:58:39 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
vonprum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19:14 AM »

I'm not completely sure if it's the door or the coach but here's a clue, the top hinge has been welded. It has not been broken off and welded back together but  seems to have been cracked. The weld is only on part of the casting, not all the way around.  Having said that I don't think this is the problem. Oops!  I said, "problem."  I don't have problems.  I have issues that always have solutions!  From my knowledge as a fabricator the issue seems to be a miss-alighnment or miss-adjustment. The hinge does not appear bent or causing the issue.

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:26:58 AM »

It is a lot easier to remove the frame and fit the door to the frame,did Carol buy another bus ? he is not a bad fabricator in his own right lol

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »

I'd just stand back and look at it, look closely for adjustment points.  Sometimes a porta-power works good to put hinges and door frames back where they belong.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »

Lance -

There is a turn buckle adjustment for the front door closing mechanism under the dash, accessible thru the compartment door in the stairwell, under the grab handle.

Might also check with Ted Campbell at wwww.coachmaintenance.com  He's worked on GMs forever, and he's south of you in Williams, CA.  Responds best to email, doesn't come to work until after 4 pm.

This may end up being easy, or it may end up being more of a challenge. But as a fabricator, you should be fine.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »

Thanks for all the advice in my previous post. I just acquired a 1957 4104. The first issue I want to tackle is the ill-fitting entry door. It still has the inside opener attached but the door just does not quite close all the way and is a bit askew. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

I also need to replace the rear luggage compartment door on the passenger side.  Anyone out there know of one or can you point me to a bus wrecking yard near Portland, OR?   Smiley

Take a look at the row of rivets that's in the right front upper corner. They run up the roof and are over the right side windshield post and run up at the same angle. If this area is sunken most likely the entire right front corner has dropped. Mine had the same problem and I understand it's not an uncommon problem. It's a structural defect because the door opening is there and provides no support for the right front.  I never repaired mine. If that's the problem, there's no easy fix.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:53:32 AM »

That top hinge has needle bearings in it.. Mine was cracked as well (made of forged alu, so I built one out of steel, hope it lasts longer).  I think it was a design error, doors hang heavy on the top hinge and that hinge is not strong enough.  Also look carefully at the opening, as others said it is a bit of a weak spot.

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »

Zubzub,

Let's see, the original hinge lasted, my guess, 50 years. Do you really think the hinge you fabricated will need to last longer than the original? LOL Just kidding!! And maybe you were too.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »

On mine, it was the door frame that was cracked at the hinge.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »

My friend Dave Galey once told me that  old buses are like older people they DROOP,SAG,WRINKLE,and LEAK along with the need of a lot of attention  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:45:34 PM by luvrbus » Logged

vonprum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »

OK, the row of rivets above the door looks perfect, no sag. My hinges are cast steel, you can't easily weld cast iron. So if some hinges were aluminum that raises some questions.  Maybe there was an upgrade.  My door is also in at the top while the bottom is out about 3/4 inch. I'm talking about the door jam edge as opposed to the hinge side edge. The door frame seems fine, no evidence of tweaking, twisting or deforming in any direction. The door however has been abused like a red-haired stepchild. Anyone have a good entry door?  I can save this one because I'm a fabricator but a better replacement might be easier to work with.

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: