Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 12:47:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving Lesson 1 - Thanks Russ & JLV  (Read 966 times)
Runcutter

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:01:27 PM »

Finally got the 4107 out for a run today (business travel & illness had me tied up for the last 2 months).  Phyllis got her first lesson, and did an outstanding job.  Russ and JL Vickers had given me some tips on instructing a brand new driver.  Phyllis hadn't driven any stick shift in multiple (ahem) decades, and I haven't done any bus driving instruction in almost 3 decades.  When I did have new folks, we'd start with a schoolbus or an automatic transit - certainly not an expensive coach. 

Russ had a great suggestion in getting the clutch feel for a dead throttle stop, and JL agreed with the small step approach. 

Today first gear & turns in the big parking lot.  Next lesson, first and second in the same parking lot.  Now, if I could only find a wide empty road within 20 miles of Dallas, TX.  Naw, never happen.

Anyway, thanks fellows.

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:00:25 PM »

Arthur -

You're welcome.

Where should I send the invoice for consulting services??  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:49:02 AM »

Let's see - I get help from you and JL Vickers, then I spend an afternoon with Brian Brown when he's stuck in Dallas (but Brian gets a lot more help from JLV than from me), - and use my contacts to try to get an ACF manual for Brill-o (Barry, if you're here, I'm still trying). 

It might be interesting to pass around a token penny - from each according to his (her) abilities, to each according to his (her) needs.  My observation is that you and JLV, among many, many others, would have more than enough to by a coffee at Starbuck's.  I'd have a negative balance, because I'm learning a lot more about this side of buses than I'm able to contribute back - yet.   

Another organization I belong to uses the concept - "For Free and For Fun" - almost sounds like the watchword of this Board, maybe?

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:12:44 PM »

I see you have constructed your own light sab--uh, your own "Buffalo".  Your Jedi training is complete...Obi-wan--I mean, JL and Russ have taught you well... Roll Eyes

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: