Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 05:04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadians driving in Florida, head's up  (Read 1668 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »

Just a head's up, Florida has passed a new law that means that any driver from outside the USA must have an International Drivers Permit as well as a valid provincial driver's license to drive in their fair state.  It seems that their politicians passed a new law without actually thinking about it, must have been in too much sun, or at the Tiki bar too long...  While the Florida State Patrol has said they won't enforce the law for Canadians at least, and possibly other nationalities, the fact remains that the law is on the books and I'd be worried about municipal law enforcement, and in particular insurance issues if you had a accident without a valid license for the locale.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »

iF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT (seldom does)  an international license/permit has no legal value and is just a translated version of the home countries license.   

I obtained my wife's international license from AAP  Automobile Association of the Philippines their version of AAA.

I believe US citizens can get international license from AAA.      JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »

That's absolutely right Jim.  I used to carry an international "license" whenever we drove into Mexico.  I figured if some crooked cop wanted my license I could just give that to him and carry on without it.  I got mine by showing my drivers license and paying CAA $25.  The problem is if the law says you have to have one and you are in an accident then an insurance company could weasel out of paying by saying you were driving illegally. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »

Is an "international license" just another step toward giving up our sovereignty?  I have had one for years, because I have driven in many countries of the world.

But it seems we are giving a lot of our authority to organizations outside our control.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »

The permit is not anything out of the ordinary.  It's an internationally recognized translation of your driver's license information into 10 languages.  It's isn't a license per se, it's just a translation guide.  Consider if your license was from Japan, in their script - it would be good to have an official english translation to prove that it wasn't a "buy five get one free" card from the Japanese version of Starbucks...

The Florida thing is just weird because it made them the only place in North America that didn't offer full reciprocity for driver's licenses.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
jbnewman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »

At the moment, the law will not be enforced due to possible conflict with an international treaty. Based on the coverage it's getting, I suspect at a minimum it will be altered to exempt English-language licenses before it's ever enforced.

-jbn
Justin
Chicago, Illinois

No bus.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »

ok what about me my costarica drivers license its the only one i have .and there is no international
license hear to get? i have driven in many countries. what are the rental car places going to do stop
renting cars to anyone . thats not born in the usa . sounds stupid to me . years ago many countries
stop using them as they where useless you could buy them anywhere even online

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »

Florida and Florida politics continue to be the laughingstock of the nation.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Just come on down, spend lots of money with us, then go home.  All will be well.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »

Attention Canadian Drivers, (as well as Ohio, New York and Michigan) please move to the right hand lane now.

Grin

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:06:49 AM »

They are backing down now.  They will not enforce the law and, if they decide to, as long as your license is written in English you are okay.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »

Aren't driver's licenses from Quebec in French? And most Canadian tourists in Florida from Quebec? I can imagine how most cops would have a hard time reading them...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 06:38:49 AM »

I expect that's what caused the problem in the first place JC.  I think its very neighbourly of us to share our Quebec problem with Florida.  No matter how many press releases are issued to calm the waters I'd still consider myself without insurance unless I held an international driving permit. The law is the law, whether or not it gets enforced, until this law gets rescinded.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »

It makes sense to require that a driver's license or possibly even other ID be written in English.  I do not know what the rules are now, but many years ago I was required to have an international license to drive in India.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: