Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71NA Muffler  (Read 974 times)
jetart

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »

Hello,

I was backing my rig up and caught the curb side muffler tip in some terra firma.  The muffler twisted backward and is now completely vertical. Ha -  It's nice to know I have room in the engine compartment for such mischief.   I did not appear to damage the exhaust manifold which is great but I'll need to replace some tubing and the muffler.  Does anyone have a good source for the muffler? I did not see a P/N on the one I destroyed or the one that's still horizontal on the driver side (which curiously has slightly different dimensions) Any help / recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
82 Prevost 8v71NA mechanical.

'82 Prevost LeMirage XL, 8V71NA, 6 speed Spicer, converter unknown
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »

Donaldson makes numerous mufflers-can go to the site and pretty much pick out your own muffler. Can order them from a big truck dealership that handles Donaldson. Will cheaper then Prevost. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jetart

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »

Thank you Tom!

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »

here: http://www.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/support/datalibrary/061237.pdf

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
jetart

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

Got it done.  As suggested I went to the big truck dealer with my old muffler and we found it in the Donaldson book - however, it was backordered (possibly for months).  The very helpful counter guy suggested if I was in a hurry to try local hot rod exhaust shop.  The hot rod shop owner made a quick call and had one the next day.  He also helped sort out the bent piping and expand / weld my new round tube to the square DD exhaust manifold. He definitely had the "right" tools for this job..... All done for about $200.

Thanks,
Dan

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »

Hopefully you still used the Donaldson muffler, and not a high performance muffler for a gasoline engine. Mufflers designed for gasoline are not right for Diesel engines. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jetart

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »

I did not ask the brand.  He said it was for a truck.  I looked inside from both ends and the construction looks the same as the one I replaced.

Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: