Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:11:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went to AC RV Show, Glad to be back in my Bus  (Read 1257 times)
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »

Lookinng for replacement furniture on bus, we went to the Atlantic City RV show. No bus conversions, but sitting in various large 42+ footers, I was struck by something.  Despite the wonderous & expensive kitchens, appliances, seating, TV's, fireplaces, there was a huge front windshield, but few & smallish side windows. I was thinking how many times we have been out & with open windows and a fan, we would not operate our A/C units.

More so, I enjoy seeing what is left & right when we are parked or set up for overnight. Not so would that be an option with the new RV'. I know with the slide outs the usable space is double my 35'er, but I utilize the bus for travel not in an RV park. Each to his own, I have never been in a park.

So we are comitted to replacement furniture, dinette cushions, accent dash coverings. Just replaced the carpet and we are good there.

I won't belabor the construction differences, but I saw many. Just glad to be back in my bus.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »

Always nice to see what's new.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »

It is and we were underwhelmed with the few support vendors. I thought there would be more parts & equipment vendors at the show.

I did satisfy my curiousity of the Sprinter MB diesel vans. Too skinny and tight, or I am too big. I could talk myself into a Roadtrek 210, if I give up alot of everything. It is useable, but alot of money at $ 108K Yikes.

Good to see how the mfgr's new ideas.

Ocean City, NJ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »

I agree about side windows. Some bus nuts have very few small side windows. It gives the interior a real cave like feeling. On my bus, the first thing people notice are the really large windows. My truck conversion has even larger window. We're out here to see the country from all angles-not just what's ahead of us. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »

Yes when my wife and I went to Lazy days to look at newer rvs .The first thing the sales guy did was start the gene so the 2 or 3 roof a/c's  were working . Now with our MCI we like the windows open and when we need a/c we usually only need one. And I still can't beleve all the rattles,creeks ,shaking of the 1 pc front window! on all the newer rv's we drove
Yes glad to have a bus !         dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »

I have four 3'x4' windows in the front part of my bus.  The side windows combined with the large windshield turn the interior into an oven in hot weather.  If it is hot outside we have to cover all the windows to keep the heat out.  So much for looking out those large windows.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »

Solution to heat problem: window awnings on all windows and a see through shade for windshield.

Window awning can survive almost any breeze, so far not more than 35MPH  without damage.
Magnetic holders for front windshield cover.

Windows open as needed and the vent fans either open and off or fans spinning.

We have been in 90F plus without the AC running and comfortable.

When the outside goes hot, humid and no breeze then button up and run the AC.

Re: the new motorhomes are referred to as ovens in our discussions.  Big windows are a must for cooling. But, without shade on the windows they can be a major problem.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Seville

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »

I went to the AC RV show as well. What struck me was the prices for the new Class A motorhomes. Wow!
For half the price you could get a top of the line Bus Conversion with a modern drive train.

I'll take a Bus Conversion over a Motorhome anytime !

New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »

Fuel is starting to go back up again, $4.35 for diesel. I84 Ct truck stop even higher.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »

Steve,

That is the first thing my wife said walking to the show, it was very lightly trafficed on Friday evening.

Gary

Ocean City, NJ
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

We go to the big rv show in Hershey every year. I'd swear that the interior color schemes are all done at the same place. Browns, blacks,tans, and olives in all the motor homes and campers; ugly in my opinion which could be showing my age, but come on... where are the other colors?? And the higher the price of the top end models, more and more mirrors. Have you noticed that the $300,000 ones use the same cheap plastic ceiling vents as the $50,000 models. Oh, and EVERYTHING has one or more slide outs, but you never get to see how they look inside with the slide outs run in for travel position.  Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »

Ah! Slideouts in and not habitable. And will they come back in.  And if they come back in will they leak.

No slideouts for us. I know they can be built but, as yet, I haven't encountered any that are troublefree.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: