Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 05:21:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEED HELP - Please, I am new to motorhomes and looking to buy 1973 MCI  (Read 1998 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »

See: you did come to the right place. You might have found your treasure rite off!  Just ck it out. No one here want's your first experience to end in a money pit.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
jafours

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »

Thank you very much all for all your advice I am glad I join this group. JC..thank you very much for your offer to help. I will upload couple of small clips on youtube that I got from the owner (after securing his permission of course  Wink) and will provide the links. Based on the suggestions posted I will contact the owner and will find out the information and will share.

Best Regards,

Abu
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »

When I bought my '77 10240B AMGeneral in 1993, I paid $4,000 for it since that's all the cash I had. It originally had a 270hp 8V-71 with V730 and 5.57 rears that topped out at 55mph. I traded a '79 GMC Astro cabover with a silver 6V-92TA to my mechanic for him to install Jake brakes, change the rears to 4.56, change the front grease bearings to oil, changed the belt drive radiator fan to gear driven, and change the 12R-22.5 tires to my 11R-24.5's. Then since then I've had the engine overhauled (block bored to straighten the bores and installed over sized liners with standard interiors to use my pistons over again), the engine turbocharged and air to air intercooled with larger injectors, new radiator, additional transmission cooler with fan, larger air cleaner, changed to a turbo muffler, changed the air assist steering to Shepard power steering, replaced all the air bags (Cool, rebuilt the V730 transmission, rebuilt the alternator, rebuilt the air compressor, new air/water separator, rebuilt the starter. Basically, everything in the engine compartment was rebuilt.
My point? Yes I only spent $4,000 on the original bus. But spent another $35,000 over the years to get it to the point mechanically that I wanted. It will ultimately be better to buy a bus that has the exact power plant you want in it then modifying it. There are numerous already converted buses on the market and also recent 40ft x 102 wide buses-the MCI 102C3 is my favorite. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 07:52:15 AM »

I spoke with Abu last night. We are going to meet soon to look this bus over. He says the seller is a retired Greyhound mechanic. The bus seems to be mostly stock with the 8V71 and 4 speed manual. Seller says recent new clutch. There is a very basic, simple conversion upstairs with everything but AC. If everything looks as good as the body on the pictures, it would be a good buy. The seller is not asking a lot of money. Anyway, we'll see what we can see...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: