Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 27, 2014, 11:36:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Window  (Read 595 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »

As many of you know, I'm converting my '85 Kenworth 90" Aerodyne cabover into a motorhome. I have a 32ft box behind the cab with a step through from the cab to the back. The one thing I don't like is if you're in the back, there really is no front facing viewing out a large windshield like on a bus. I would like to set up a virtual window above the step through. I have 24" of vertical space that at a 14:9 ratio means I could use a 42" flat screen TV. I would like to put a high def camera on the roof right above-preferably a ZTP (Zoom Tilt Pan). My problem is finding one that is weather proof and vibration proof. I've found a couple, but they're over $3,000! Any suggestions?  Good Luck, TomC

P.S:I got the idea from Disney cruise lines. On their cruise ships, their interior rooms have virtual windows using video cameras facing sideways from the ship.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:27 AM »

Can't help with the camera as such but if I was doing this I'd definitely use computer monitors rather than a TV. Monitors are much cheaper for a start, and you can drive multiple monitors from a single source in a variety of ways - ie, the same picture on all of them, or one picture spread across four monitors arranged side-by-side or in a square etc.

There will come a time in the not-too-distant future when virtual windows will become the norm - and they you'll be able to choose from thousands of high definition live video feeds from interesting locations all around the world, not just a camera showing what's happening on the other side of the wall

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »

Those dash cams of the metior were impressive.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »

I think having a virtual window is a GREAT idea! I would probably use a dash camera and add monitors to the back. That way you won't have to worry about it being weather proof or getting dirty.

Good luck, It sounds like your truck is going to be a really cool ride! I think someday I want to build a truck RV also.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »

I suppose it all comes down to what resolution is acceptable.  If you must have the highest possible, an outside mounting with the best equipment would be necessary.  If you can settle for less, I would think that you could pretty well at a reasonable price with a dash mounted camera.  Also, since I have heard that some of us like to use a dash camera to document possible incidents on the road, it could serve a dual purpose, and you won't need to fumble for a camera when that UFO is hovering in front of you.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:05:10 PM »

The thought that crosses my mind is that using any form of this system would allow you to change the outside scene if the weather is ugly.

You could also make it look like you were actually driving when you are not, like landing on the moon when it is just an earthquake.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:07:41 PM by PCC » Logged

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: