Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 10:18:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnetic pump guestion  (Read 526 times)
Larry B

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »

I picked up a magnetic pump ($10.00 invest) a while ago from a salvage yard and finally decided to put it in bus to help pro heat and engine water pump circulate glycol through house heating system. Pro heat is located in engine compartment, long way to bus front for pro heater. When checking pump over found crack in plastic housing that holds donut shaped magnet to 24 volt motor. I have a small lathe and a piece of 3" brass in my junk. My first question to those that understand electic motors and magnetisum a lot better than myself is will this pump still work properly with a magnetic holder made of brass?   I would prefer to power this motor off my 12 volt house battery.Second question is what sort of device do I need to get 24 volt off 12 volt battery. Motor takes 5 amp to  start and 1 amp to run on 24 volt(with no load or magnetic drive mounted).  pictures show crack in holder  (between black pen marks)Thanks
           Larry B

1977 MCI-5B---
8V71- 4speed man
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »

Hi Larry,

I have played with them alot in the past and I didn't always have luck getting them to

work properly once the bakelite cracked. The magnet has to be in the proper position

or the armature will not react right and sometimes not spin as fast as it should, if at all..

Housings are not too expencive and come in a kit form with "O" ring.

Changing a 24v to 12v is all in the windings if you know how to do that! Pulling 12v's from

your 24v bank can be done through your 12v post off a Vanner.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TedCalvert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:35:58 PM »

24 volt motor from 12 volt battery would be a problem
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »

Hi,Larry B.

The name of the device you are looking for is "boost converter". An example is 151000932032 on eBay. I think you can turn something up if you look around. The price is right, if it will serve your needs.

There was a Vanner unit listed, as well. Watch out for idle current; you need to have a way to shut it off.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: