Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 11:37:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof leak  (Read 964 times)
vonprum

Here she is the day I bought it

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

I've got a roof leak, water coming out of my destinator on the passenger side of my 4104. I think it may be because of the broken marker light above the entry door.  Anyone had experience with this? Also, does anyone have or know of a replacement lens? It's the big Amber lens, about 3" by 12" directly above the entry door.

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »

Leaks, elusive, damaging, frustrating. Can bring tough men to tears!

A compressor with an air gun, one person inside, another outside with liquid soap mixed with water. You find bubbles you find the leak!

No guarantees, but sometimes it works.   JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »

a lot of times it will leak around the destination sign gasket as it gets old and shrinks/hardens

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
vonprum

Here she is the day I bought it

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »

I can tell from the water patterns that the leak is above the door and not around the gasket. The leak is definately coming from above.

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
qayqayt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »

We have a PD-4108 so I'm not so sure how the light is set up on the PD-4104.  We don't even have a side destination sign.  If you can get access from the inside of the destination sign you can seal the edges of the socket assembly with clear caulking.  If you can't, then you could remove the fixture, get some strip-caulk put it around the inside edges and reattach it to the bus.  There must be someone out there parting out a 4104 that can sell you a used lens.

Hope this helps.. just my $0.02 worth.

Bryan
Vancouver BC

Bryan
Vancouver BC
GM PD-4108
Ron4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »

I replaced the gasket behind the lense frame on our 4104. Went to a few auto parts stores and could not find any gasket weather proof material even close to being thick enough. Stopped at a tire store and ask if they had any rubber thick enough. He said we just tossed some tube liners in the dumpster take all you want. The thickness was really close. Has worked great for several years. Getting the old screws out to remove the frame was time consuming, but it stopped the leak. Good Luck
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

This stuff works well on some leaks.  I even think that Camping World might sell it.

http://www.captaintolley.com/

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

I used silicone seal on mine, the stock gaskets just don't seem to do the job, especially when they get old.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »

Lance -

The OEM marker light lenses on your coach were made of glass, and are now extremely hard to find - as are the Scenicruiser's, too.

A few years ago, IBP in Apopka, FL, made some plastic replacements, but don't know if they're still available.

Sadly, you may end up having to replace the OEM fixture with something else to remain legal and seal your leak.

Might put out the word that you're looking for a complete set, L & R of the OEM front marker light assemblies, and perhaps somebody who knows of an '04 that's getting scrapped can come thru.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »

Lance,

I am not a knowledgeable source for things GM. Having said that, there may be a source for gasket material to match with yours at: Carolina Houdaille Co., Inc. They are in Charlotte, North Carolina at 1914 West Morehead Street, 28208. The phone number is (704) 333-6669. The gentleman behind the counter is very knowledgeable and may have gasket material that meets your needs.

One thing to remember with water leaks, water runs downhill, we all know that, but where you think it is leaking my not be where the leak is. The only way to find out is to pressurize the interior of the bus and soapy water the outside from one end to the other and side to side.

Just sayin' ...

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »

On my 04 the lenses and mounting brackets were in bad shape.  I removed them and used running lights from the truck place.

Also replaced the wiring while doing that.

the lenses and mounting hardware are made of unotanium.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: