Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 09:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To DDEC or Not to DDEC, that is the question  (Read 5063 times)
CraigC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 11:44:25 AM »

Kieth
 As Tom C. said a inline 671 can be configured to anything you want it to be. The blower can be on the left or right, the exhaust manifold can be on the left or right, and the crankshaft rotation can also be changed. This is the most versitable engine ever made. You can change any of these configurations on all inline 671. I have heard some of the later ones the crankshaft had the oil hole drilled at a angle so they are left or right hand specific. All it takes is work or money to change. You need a 1940's or 1950's manual you will be amazed at what they did with these engines. I am sorry, I really have to question the info from your DD guys on this one.
I researched for several years before repowering. GG04's info is by far the easiest swap. Anything else will require a lot of work. When I did my 8V71TA into a 4104 it took me 2 months of full time work. This was after I had already overhauled the engine, made many of the mounts, brackets and etc. I had the old engine out, everything cleaned up, and the new engine installed in 4 days but it is all of the little stuff that takes time. I only have my 8V set for 330 hp. it performs very well. Hot Rod!!!!
I would use the DDEC 671TA in your bus in a heart beat. Just my opinion.
I went with the mechanical engine because I am comfortable working on it. I only have book knowledge on the DDEC engines.
I like Busted have also done several things to buses the experts said could not be done. My first question is "Why Can't it be done?" this is where I usually do not get a good answer.
Craig C.

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
keithshotrodshop

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »

I know exactly where you guys are coming from about the impossible. I am a full believer that nothing is impossible, it just takes time, money, and sweat.

As for the blocks, google 6-71s and compare. The blower casting is on opposite sides between trucks and busses, and not interchangeable. I have all the manuals already for the engine too.

I think there has been alot of confusion as to what ddec motor I am talking about. I am talking about an early 90's transit coach model (yes, they exist, I've seen them) with a turbo 6-71. I have talked to several who have done this swap and they all seem to love it. I know it is probably my best option, I was just looking for specifics as to the swap that I may want to be careful of.
CraigC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 10:19:48 AM »

Kieth
The blower housing on the Left or Right side is interchangeable. You have to completely disassemble the engine and rotate the block 180 degrees. The 671 is not like a car engine it does not care which end of the block is pointed toward the bellhousing end. There are 4 basic configuartions of the 671 in right turn and the same in left turn. engines  You can assemble 8 different inline 671 engines out of the same pile of parts. The 8 digit code on the block will tell you in what configuration it left the factory.

You are correct in the fact that life will be much easier for you to get a engine already configured for a bus.

Good luck

Craig C

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
gg04

Full throttle 'til you see God

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 06:52:22 AM »

Edwin , I could find no one who would touch the transit ECM..your stuck with whatever the transit company had it set at just about and the factory settings were from low 200's to just 300hp....The ecm from a right hand tractor is adjustable but it must be set for a left hand installation,,,I just carried it to a marine dealer and got it set for a left hand engine in my "live aboard"  (fireing order is reversed in left versus right)..after that had no problems getting HP and Torque set...gg04

If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx
keithshotrodshop

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 02:09:34 PM »

gg04,

You never answered, how do you set the horsepower and torque on the tractor computer. Is it done at the dealer, or can you do it yourself?
gg04

Full throttle 'til you see God

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 02:21:15 PM »

Sorry missed the Huh Is dealer set....Find one you can communicate with and MAKE FRIENDS... To me marine dealers are the easiest to deal with and still work on 2strokes all the time lots of knowledge there..will more than pay for the time involved...All seem to like being treated like you would treat yourself instead of just an employee...Get them interested in your projects..most are just car people like us..gg04 

If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: