Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 08:26:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging Problem  (Read 441 times)
wagwar

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »

I have a Trace 4024 inverter/charger and an ETS 350 Automatic Transfer Switch on my bus. I have the bus connected to 30A shore power, but I keep the inverter turned off so that my house battery bank (six - 8D AGM's) is not on Float charge all of the time. I check the voltage every couple of weeks and if it gets below 25.3 I run a bulk charge cycle.

Yesterday I went out to run a bulk charge cycle and the inverter would not stay on the charge cycle. It would start charging and then stop charging. It was just cycling through the initial connection to AC power and then start to charge and then stop and repeat cycle.

I could hear a relay clicking on then off. I think it was in the transfer switch, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions on how to run this down?

Thanks in advance.

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »

That sounds like the symptoms I experienced when the transfer relays in my Freedom 25 started to fail.  My tech told me to give the inverter a mighty whack on the side.  That temporarily solved the problem but the permanent solution was to have him replace the relays.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »

What is your battery voltage?

My Trace 4024 does not like to pick up when the voltage is way down. Found this when a battery in the set started failing.

To compensate, I put a simple automotive charger on for awhile, and then the Tracer would pick up.

Do the simple stuff first. Maybe nothing broken at all?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions!  Problem solved!

It was a weak or bad ground/neutral connection on my shore cord. Not bad enough to kick out the power management system, but the Trace is sensitive to it I guess. Anyway, a new 30 amp receptacle and box and all is working again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: