Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:57:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone using a GPS Speedometer?  (Read 1893 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »

I'm thinking about replacing my inaccurate speedometer with a GPS speedometer. It has many additional features that would be nice-compass, GPS coordinates, temperature, altitude, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (a joke in a bus), etc. Just wondering if anyone is using one and how often you loose the signal like when in a forest or in the mountains? Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »

Tom - They're a decent workaround, especially compared to replacing an OEM speedo in an old bus.  Even in more modern buses that I'm running in-service, its' a good second opinion, you just have to be aware that it's not completely real-time and has its accuracy limitations.  As for signal, I find it becomes an issue in tunnels or anytime you're under a big span for a long period of time.  Take care, Brad

Busnut wannabe.
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »

Tom

I installed one over a year ago in my bus and it works great. Loses the signal in long tunnels but it comes right back on . Nice to have a odometer and tripometer .

Gary
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »

I have one, but an older model without anything but speed and odometer.  It loses satellite sync when going through some mountain passes.  I really need to move the antenna up to the roof to help that.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »

In Jan. 2010 I bought a Garm for the speedo feature and I love it.  It looses in tunnells, the other features i like is the altitude an compass. I put it my truck an had it in my jeep was/is within 3mph of speedo in both. The bus speedo has never been good.
          Do not know the price of  GPS speedo, but this one I have is more usefull, do not need to look down except to check TEMP.....
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »

Tom -

Here's Steve Toomey's post from awhile back, again a favorable experience (installed in a GM Beefalo):

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=23173.0

Take care,
Brad

Busnut wannabe.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »

Some three or 4 years ago, I gave up on our original speedometer.  I liked what I saw with some GPS units but did not want to spend the money for a strictly dedicated unit.  We therefore bought a GPS unit that is now mounted in a convenient spot on the dash.  It has the normal GPS functions including speed.  I have not had any problem with it so far.  I generally use my Android phone for navigation, but it's nice to have this stand alone GPS unit for backup when the phone loses the internet.  I may have lost the signal once or twice in a forest but only for a minute, and this is without any external antenna.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »

A while back,we installed a VDO Speedo fed from the left front drum. Then I added a VIP 20" steering wheel and found out that I didn't have a clear view of the head because of the new wheels cross bar. I then added a Garmin and have never looked back (or sideways LOL)

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »

Tom,

I recently replaced all my gauges with ones from Speedhut in Utah. They have been very cooperative in getting all the gauges working with my old 8V92. The change out resulted from a failed original equipment tachometer for which there was no replacement or repair parts available. Included in the change out was their GPS speedometer. I only have a little over 1,00 miles since the change out, and I have found it to be a great replacement for the old speedometer. In fact, the gauges (white face with black digits) I found to be much easier to read, especially after sundown. The speedometer also has other information available in a small window at the lower part of the face. Now if it could just give me the outside temperature, that's what the wife is always asking if I know. Well I don't, it doesn't and its always just right inside the bus so why worry about outside until its time to go outside!

I knew there would be small dead spots, such as tunnels, but then how long can a tunnel be? It's not as if we are driving to England in a tunnel everyday.

Just saying ...

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »

Will can you please provide a picture of what you have on your dash?  Sure would love to see the new set up!

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »

Tom I purchased all new guages from Speedhut including a GPS speedo, I love them. You do loose signal in long tunnels but they are good in the mountains.  Cheers Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »

pics.

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »

Thank you they look great!

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:26 AM »

but then how long can a tunnel be

One in Norway is 25km long.

Are GPS speedos DOT approved as sole indicator of speed

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »

Guess I should take the time to learn more about this technology. 

It is one thing to use a GPS for monitoring speed, but quite another to use one for an odometer.  There are some "legal" requirements for documenting mileage on cars.  Doubt that applies to most of our older buses.  Also, we use the odometer for a bunch of stuff including maintenance.  Apparently the odometer function must work well.

I no longer use my front wheel speedometer/odometer since the odometer quit working.  I now rely on the SilverLeaf which is very accurate.  So, I don't need a GPS speedometer, but it is interesting technology.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: