Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 08:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't like working with electricity  (Read 2470 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »

There have been posts here that GFIs should not be used on bus systems?

I don't remember the reasons but some of our elect experts surely will chime in.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »

Matt, bright flash of light, followed by loud noise, power in the foothills goes out..... then when you hear the sirens you can come check on me!

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 04:23:15 AM »

I have no issues working with anything electrical, being it's been my life for the last 60+ years.  Gotten zapped many a time and have some great stories of screwdrivers melting in my hand as I ... well that's for a different time....

What I've been doing for the last many years, if I'm working on a circuit and I bother to turn the power off at all, is to first turn off the supposedly correct breaker, then stick a big fat piece of #10 insulated wire straight across whatever it is I'm gonna work with, deliberately shorting it out just to make damned sure there is no power across it.  If there is power, I get a spark for sure, but without a doubt the correct breaker goes "click" and is now off.  Being that the wire I use is insulated, it won't shock me, and the fireworks are more-or-less expected instead of a surprise, so it's easy to make sure my face isn't in the wrong place at the wrong time.
 You'd be amazed how many times the circuit that was supposed to be off was actually still quite live, just as Ed found out the hard way- for as many reasons as you can think of... turned off wrong breaker; wire that ya thought was the one you were working with was actually another circuit; live wires you didn't know connected to the supposedly off circuit, etc.
 This way sounds a bit crazy, but it is as fail safe as I can figure, doesn't require fancy testers, and using it as a backup I've never had a surprise zap ever again.

Have fun.....

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:30 AM »

That's what is known in the trade as Dynamic Circuit Identification.  I usually use a slow-blow phillips screwdriver.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »

There have been posts here that GFIs should not be used on bus systems?

I don't remember the reasons but some of our elect experts surely will chime in.  

Not an elect expert (by ANY means) but you may be thinking of the fact that a GFI will often not work as a shore plug socket. Has to do with the switched grounds etc. on a bus with an automatic transfer switch, I think.  I know that my bus trips a 20 Amp GFI but I think that my 15 Amp adaptor (which goes to a 30 Amp adaptor which goes to the 50 Amp plug) only supplies power to one leg of my 50 Amp service anyway.  One of those "it works pretty much right and I'll take care of important things that don't work and then get around to finding out WITH is wrong with it" things, I guess.

As long as I'm not tripping a GFI in the garage wall, the GFI next to the bathroom sink in the bus seems to work just fine.

BH  NC   USA
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:31:04 PM by Oonrahnjay » Logged

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »

I have a GFI in the bathroom and so far it has worked fine. I too am running on a 20 amp circuit from my garage while I work on the bus and have run saws, sanders, lights etc plugged into the GFI.

Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »

If testing you should always check all wires against ground oir chassis. I do hear sirens in west Yuma all the time. Have three busses in the park I am in.

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: