Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:34:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 92 Prevost DDEC 2  (Read 5246 times)
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »

OK 2 things here.

I had one once that had some old inline fuse holders and once in a while they'd lose connection if I hit a bump just right or something.
I'd just be going down the road and it'd either start running bad or just die.
Get out pull fuses out stick 'm back in and it'd run fine for who knows.

Also once in a great while I'd to to start it and it's just crank and crank. Again play with fuses and it'd fire right up!

Got tired of fooling with it and replaced both fuse holders and never had another problem with it!

Also I have reconditioned DDEC II ECM (new never used after being rebuilt by DD) available if you are interested. (it was a spare and we don't run the 8V92's anymore!)
Grin  BK  Grin
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »

What do you have to have for that?

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
gyoder

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »

OK 2 things here.

I had one once that had some old inline fuse holders and once in a while they'd lose connection if I hit a bump just right or something.
I'd just be going down the road and it'd either start running bad or just die.
Get out pull fuses out stick 'm back in and it'd run fine for who knows.

Also once in a great while I'd to to start it and it's just crank and crank. Again play with fuses and it'd fire right up!

Got tired of fooling with it and replaced both fuse holders and never had another problem with it!

Also I have reconditioned DDEC II ECM (new never used after being rebuilt by DD) available if you are interested. (it was a spare and we don't run the 8V92's anymore!)
Grin  BK  Grin

What year model prevost do you have? I found 1 in-line fuse holder and its coming off of the 24v battery disconnect, it has voltage going through it and I cant find any other in-line fuse,, several people have mentioned fuses between the ECM and the heads but I can't locate them.
  How risky is it changing ECMs from vehicle to vehicle without getting them re programed?
  What did that rebuild cost you from DD?
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »

Bob,

My coach is about the same vintage as gyoder's. I can start from the rear without having the front key in the on position. I did it a couple of times just this week when the rear radiator hose blew off the piping. What I can't do is start it from the front if I leave the switch on the side of my 24 volt electrical panel in the rear position. Also, the toggle switch does not get used very often. I tried to rear start 4-5 years ago, successfully, then restored the toggle to the front position. Darn think would not start. I called a friend in Chicago and was advised to flip that flipping toggle from top to bottom and back again "vigorously." I did and she started right up.

Just sayin' ...

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »

Hopefully we will hear back to his successful outcome. A electrical ghost is the most difficult to find. I can understand the working of the switch --sort of cleans contacts off.  Have a friend fighting a lightning strike now.  Every-time he gets it running something else come up.  2004 MCI.  I can't even suggest to him where to start. He has had it to the pro's and they keep changing parts.  Best of luck and please do post outcome so we all may learn.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
gyoder

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »

Hopefully we will hear back to his successful outcome. A electrical ghost is the most difficult to find. I can understand the working of the switch --sort of cleans contacts off.  Have a friend fighting a lightning strike now.  Every-time he gets it running something else come up.  2004 MCI.  I can't even suggest to him where to start. He has had it to the pro's and they keep changing parts.  Best of luck and please do post outcome so we all may learn.   Bob
This prevost will turn over but not fire the injectors,

I pulled the DDEC ii ECM and sent it off to have it checked and the circuit board is toasted in it, so I feel really confident I have found the problem.
 Thanks,,
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »

Just remember the DDEC11 is 12v make sure it is a 12 v supply they do not like living in a 24v world what are you calling toasted most the time it is the clock or battery
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:05:13 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

Triple ck battery install and feed.  12 volt is very important!! If someone has them out of order your still in trouble.  Do you have the 4 group 31 install?(My 89 did)  Is your wiring diagram still on back of door? Triple ck since you didn't do it yourself. Now you will be the go to Batt hook up guy.   Bob

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »

Detroit has an upgrade kit for conversion from DDEC II to DDEC IV.  The kit is detailed here:

http://www.ddcsn.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/18SP546Rev.pdf

The bulletin says that it is for Series 60.  My thought is that it would also be valid for any DDEC II.  Mark Renner checked and was told that it was only for Series 60.

Maybe someone who has direct knowledge can chime in.

If the conversion would work for your engine, it would probably be worth it since you have to buy an ECM anyway.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »

Should be easy to upgrade a 11 to a IV for the 92 series, some 92 series were the DDEC IV up grading from the I requires different cams, 2 cylinders short on that one Jim and the way the DDEC reads the firing order on a 8v92 is crazy it confuses me big time after all the years fooling with the mechanical 8v92  

You probably know a DDEC ECM is good up to 8 cylinders then like on a V12 it takes 2 ECM's to make that puppy run double the trouble
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:18:33 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »

When I had to replace my ECM last sumer on my DDEC II 8V92 I asked about upgrading and was told that it would work for a series 60 but not an 8V92. For whatever thats worth. Interstate Detroit Diesel in Sioux Falls, SD had an ECM for a 6 cylinder that they tried on my engine and my engine would barely move the bus. They had to order the correct ECM for my engine. So, I would be very skeptical that a DDEC II ECM could be upgraded to a DDEC IV for an 8V92. But, I've been wrong many times, just today, ask my wife. LOL

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
gyoder

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »

Triple ck battery install and feed.  12 volt is very important!! If someone has them out of order your still in trouble.  Do you have the 4 group 31 install?(My 89 did)  Is your wiring diagram still on back of door? Triple ck since you didn't do it yourself. Now you will be the go to Batt hook up guy.   Bob

I have a wire diagram from prevost and I have them correct now
gyoder

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »

When I had to replace my ECM last sumer on my DDEC II 8V92 I asked about upgrading and was told that it would work for a series 60 but not an 8V92. For whatever thats worth. Interstate Detroit Diesel in Sioux Falls, SD had an ECM for a 6 cylinder that they tried on my engine and my engine would barely move the bus. They had to order the correct ECM for my engine. So, I would be very skeptical that a DDEC II ECM could be upgraded to a DDEC IV for an 8V92. But, I've been wrong many times, just today, ask my wife. LOL

Good luck, Sam
What is the gain by upgrading to a IV? is it better milage, power, performance?
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »

B_K  Offer up one for your engine. good trusted member here. Might ck it out.  Bob

PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 04:56:37 AM »

Voltage sensitive - that is the killer of DDEC ECMs.

Make sure you have enough voltage, and not too much.

That is what I have learned, from experience.

I now start my genset (wired to charge my main batteries), if I have left the vehicle alone for any length of time, to be sure that the ECM gets full 12V.

It is worth the cost of fuel to make sure the volts are all there.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: