Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 01:24:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lexan window above front window broke  (Read 778 times)
sledhead

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:26:13 AM »

My lexan window above the front window (1990 mci 102c3 ) started to cup or warp over the last few years and I added silicon at the rubber and the lexan as the lexan would not stay in the rubber.Now that I have time to repair it I removed all the silicon ,cleaned the rubber.But when I tried to reinstall it I could not get the warp out of it and I cracked it  Cry . Now I have looked on line at nimco for a new or used one. I will call them on mon. How much will it cost? and is it because of age that the old one warped?  Any ideas         
thanks     dave   

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »

Dave -

Several recent posts have said that since Nick retired, Nimco doesn't sell bus parts anymore.  But try them anyway. . .

Sam Caylor @ Caylor Supply might be another source, or you could always call MCI Service Parts - they might actually be your best bet.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is easy to buy and can be cut and shaped with regular tools - I'd look at the option of making a replacement window yourself as well as buying one

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »

What about 18 gage satin coat gal. like I used on the skin over the side windows.Its not like you can see through it .Thats were the tv, a/c is. Cut to size paint and install in the rubber used for the lexan?         dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »

I had the same problem with the overhead window on my 96A3.  I put in a piece of alucabond.  I had it cut and power pressed into the right shape based upon the old piece of lexan.  I love the result and know it won't deteriorate in the UV rays.  Plus I have no more water leakage and it is quieter to boot.  See if you can find a local sign place or commercial building exterior provider.  The alucabond is used on commercial building exteriors and on signs.  Mine cost me $90.  You will not like the price of a new window!
Gerry H

1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:04:46 AM »

I replaced my Prevost driver's side lexan dual pane with real glass. Prevost quit using Lexan due to the many problems that comes with it.
I would take your lexan panel to an auto glass shop and talk with them. Good Luck Gerry H

Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: