Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 06:01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil filters - manufacturer recommendations?  (Read 2797 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »

Cat has the best oil filters of any brand (Advanced Filtration System) it was a 50/50 deal with Donaldson back in the 90's now all owned by CAT I never used anything else unless I could not get to a CAT dealer

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 05:58:02 AM »

Lin, did you ask them when they are going to have the Gold Filter sale?  They don't seem to advertize it much and it only goes for about a week. Different areas have it at different times,.....maybe it is already over in your area.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 07:20:07 AM »

Clifford is correct with Cat filters. Cat had a display with identical filters from all manufacturers cut open so you could see the construction methods inside. The Cat filter was truly different-in that it has silicone ring stabilizers around the element and the folds are much more then any other filter. I run Cat filters on my Cat powered truck. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 08:25:31 AM »

Jim,

Appears you are getting your filters at a good price also.

I order all the filters for all my vehicles at the same time every couple of years. The price is better that way.

Filter 1 will send you catalogs and cross references for everything. The best savings seem to be lawn mower filters for me!

Joe

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »

Clifford or Tom..   Does Cat make a filter for the Series 60???   

Our Detroit dealer has Donaldson on the shelf.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »

Yea they do Zero

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »

Does the silicone ring and extra folds really make the Cat filter any better, or is it just a marketing gimmick to sell more Cat brand filters?  Would the Cat filters catch particles the other ones would not, and are the particles large enough to harm the engine?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »

When I was a senior in high school I went to school 2 hours a day so I went to work nights at a filter plant. We made filters for several different companies. Yes there was different specs for different companies. I remember that at that time Altas had the best specs to get the most particles out of the air and the oil. The lab was always doing test to make sure they met the specs. Off note I made all my beer money by making special filter for all my friends and I used the best of all components. We all raced cars and they where happy to keep me in beer and some parts to get a good filter. This was 45 years ago but I bet things are still the same.

Wayne
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »

Filters may be made to different specs, but is filter A with the best specs really any better than filter B with lower specs?  At some point you're going to be filtering out particles that are finer than what will damage the engine.  Filter B may filter anything that will damage an engine just fine.

Bottled water is generally filtered to a higher standard than tap water.  99.9% of the time there is nothing in tap water that will hurt you.  Bottled water is filtered to a standard beyond what is required for the human body.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:08:56 PM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »

Do it your way which ever way you choose Brian oil filters and bottle water where did we go wrong LMAO
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:43:44 PM by luvrbus » Logged

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »

When I have my oil changed locally they use Baldwin filters.  I changed the oil myself last summer and used Fleetguard filters.  I'm not really loyal to any filter manufacturer.

I'm still wondering if the cheapest filter would really let through particles that would damage the engine.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »

Brian,do a oil sample with a cheaper filter you will find out in a hurry some filters are better than others

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: