Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 05:35:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: I need help diagnosing my fuel gauge problem
Bad fuel gauge - 0 (0%)
Bad sending unit - 2 (100%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel gauge is not working  (Read 1195 times)
jayshollis

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »

I know this subject is all over this site. However I never found what I needed. When I bought my bus, the fuel gauge was always pegged out empty. Grounding the sending wire on the sending unit made no difference. I pulled the sending unit and checked it out and cleaned it. Checked the ohms on it and it moved as the float moved.

I bought a new gauge from Jefferson and hooked it up. It pegs out full. I hooked up a new wire from the gauge directly to the sending unit.(without going through the front panel) I did this thinking maybe I had a bad sending wire somewhere. Still pegs out full. When I grounded the unit, it goes to empty. This seems to be different from all the posts I have read. Any ideas or thoughts? Should I just buy all new gauge and sending unit? If so, any recommendations? Also, does the sending wire need to route through the front panel for some reason? Thanks.

Jay Hollis
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:06:01 PM »

I suppose you have made sure that the gauge and sending unit have compatible ranges and the voltage is correct.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
jayshollis

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »

Well...not really. I told the guy at Jefferson what bus I had and he just sent me one. I will look at that. Thank you.
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »

Jay, you have enough fuel to lift the float?, As Lin said, most sending units and gauges are matched pairs, or are adjustable resistance, I decided to let MCI replace mine and the technician did not bend the arm enough to miss the internal baffles (there to keep the fuel sloshing down), enough, so the float arm stuck on the baffle and always read the same amount, he replaced and redid the grounds twice, before realizing his mistake, lvmci...

Mci 102C3 8V92, Allison 4 speed 740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:52 PM »

Isspro has float sensers that work by magnetic pickup. Just measure the depth of your tank and how many hole the sending unit is (typically 5) and call Isspro with that. You'll get a correct sending unit for the depth of the tank and use their gauge for the sending unit. Works well. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »

A piece of Romex works well. Put it in and mark the top divide by 2 make another mark then again and so on. I just haven't got around to replacing mine yet.
Luke told me he has it soI know where to get it.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

Chuck Hancock

1986 Prevost Liberty

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »

My bus is old (1986) and I have had to "tap" the fuel gauge to get it to register for the last several years.  It finally died altogether and I bought a new gauge and installed it.  Now it comes from pinned at the left (below empty) up to the empty marker when you turn the key on.  The tank is full so I am assuming I also have a bad sending unit.  I bought the gauge from Prevost and gave them my vin number so I assume (risky word to use) I have the correct gauge.  Any ideas?

Chuck & Beth Hancock
Ridgefield,  Ct
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

Check your manual for the right gauge of wire for the gauge and for splices both will change the resistance and then you have a wacky fuel gauge  

Jay you saying it came from Jefferson I assume it is for a Eagle if so those are VDO gauges and only the VDO sender will work and I am probably wrong but the best I can remember those are 0-30 ohms
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:44:07 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: