Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 02:36:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toad Towing Tips  (Read 735 times)
rubyrambler

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2013, 05:27:37 AM »

Hi All,

First time tower here looking for some feedback on towing. I am towing a Chevy S-10, 4 down, behind my 35 foot 4106 coach. Is the turning radius any wider? I have a rear view monitor but it works so-so. It was suggested to me to place flags on each side of the truck so I can see them in my mirrors. Any particular hazards I need to be concerned with? I have had my coach inspected and brakes adjusted so she is good to go. Truck is not very heavy so should not notice much pull behind me. Anything you can suggest to make this easier and safer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kat
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:10:07 AM »

I would definately up grade your camera system, A new camera is fairly cheap and well worth it. you can do alot of damage in a hurry with a blown tire on the toad, turning radius is not a big issue.>>>> John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
rubyrambler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »

Hi John,

Any suggestions on an upgrade to my camera system?

Thanks,
Kat
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:28:19 AM »

Kat it depends on what type of camera you have, hopefully you have a power supply and a RCA cable already in place, I would suggest checking on ebay find one with nigt vision and a visor built in there are several monitors to choose from. good luck>>>> John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »

I think a tire pressure monitoring system is important, especially when towing.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »

Kat, is the camera 12 volt? Do you have specification book on existing camera, is it an RF wireless camera or does it have a coaxial black round cable screwed on to the back of the monitor? If its 12 volt and coaxial cabled your choices are many, as said get a night vision or infared enhanced camera, much better, under these previously mentioned conditions, you can just swap out camera mount, screw in coax cable or connect RCA plug, make sure you take off old camera first to see the connector if its coax, either rca or screwon type, one other caveat, is the monitor square or rectangle? If its square, 4X3, or rectangle, 16X9, you may have to accomidate the camera output to match the monitor, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »

Towed my s1-0 for many miles. never any problem untill some one borrowed it. I figured they would bring it back but it has been about a year. no luck so I bought a ford ranger. it made it to Kansas and back last fall. saw it several times in the rear view mirrows on sme of the crooked roads across Tenn Kent. border.

pulling behind a 4104.

dned sanders
huggy bear

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »

When I built the bus I ran a coax cable and a hot plus ground wire front to back! At sam's club they had remote backup camera in a liscecse plate mount, $99.00 with 5 inch monitor. bought it , mounted it up at roof, wired it to a switch next to the monitor, the remote has 10-12feet  of cable and is on the bed room sealing in a corner, it works even at nite, not for nite but it does a good job.
      The monitor has buttons to turn image 90degrees each push so 90-180-270-360 an another button elminates the lines and .
      The camera sees about 180degerees.
      I use a roadmaster air brake system with a emg/brakeaway!
     As for backing 5feet and front wheels on toad are plowing/skidding!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: