Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 12:54:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the proper procedure for replacing a Donaldson filter?  (Read 778 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »

I opened up my Donaldson filter housing once to check the filter a year or two ago.  It was caked with a thin layer of mud inside so I put in my spare filter.  I had one heck of a time getting the filter housing closed properly.  I wasn't sure it was installed properly so I took the bus to a nearby truck service place and they fixed the filter install.

What is the correct procedure to replace a Donaldson filter?  It was like I needed three or four hands to keep the filter centered in the housing while at the same time trying to tighten the fasteners.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:59:39 AM »

On my Donaldson filter, it lays horizontally just inside a side access door. The 4 bolts to remove the bottom of the filter is right there. The problem I have is the filter element is a conical element with the skinny side facing out. It would not stay up to put the cap back on. I just made a small piece of wood to hold the element in the correct position to be able to reinstall the cap and 4 nuts. I don't know how yours is. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »

On my Donaldson filter, it lays horizontally just inside a side access door. The 4 bolts to remove the bottom of the filter is right there. The problem I have is the filter element is a conical element with the skinny side facing out. It would not stay up to put the cap back on. I just made a small piece of wood to hold the element in the correct position to be able to reinstall the cap and 4 nuts. I don't know how yours is. Good Luck, TomC

That is the same basic problem I had.  Did you leave the wood inside?  It seems like the foam gaskets fit really tight and make it hard to get the cover back on.

I'm wondering how a mechanic does it?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »

I had the same problem when I changed my air filter last month I really wasnt satisfied that the filter was centered, Tom has a great idea using a small block of wood as a spacer, I think I will take my cover off and do the same thing.>>>John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:23:05 AM »

Yes I left the piece of wood inside. This isn't a problem since the outside of the filter is the dirty side and the clean air is drawn from the inside of the element (air cleaners can be designed either way). My original air cleaner had a normal cylindrical air filter element-that I still had to use the wood to keep it in place. Now with the new air cleaner, the air filter is conical-just added another small piece of wood to keep the air filter element in the correct position. I have found that the air filter gets dirtier much quicker now that I have a turbo'd engine. I can only assume the turbo flows alot more air. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »

Although my air filter is mounted horizontally, there is not enough room to change he filter in place.  The housing has to be removed.  Therefore, since I am changing the filter on the ground, it is easy to align.  I can see where it could be difficult to keep it centered if doing it in the horizontal though.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »

The first time i went to change my new style dry air filter i couldent get the cover to come off the filter!!!!!! 10 mins later i had a dented cover and the filter was still stuck! Seems some filters come with a new lid to solve the alignment problem. lol. i like the wood idea.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: