Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:52:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake break issues  (Read 909 times)
Seayfam

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »

I went out to take my bus for a little drive today and when I started it... it wouldn't run very well, especially when I tried to accelerate it. I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I changed out the fuel filter and same thing. So I noticed the Jake break was left on, so I turned it off and it ran fine. After going down the road a couple of miles, I flipped it back on and all is good.

What do you think happened and is it something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9300

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »

Sorry! That is supposed to say "Brake" darn smart phone!
Maybe my Jake Brake is taking a break Lol!

Sent from my GT-I9300

8V92 turbo 740 auto
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:37:50 PM »

Nothing to worry about Gary a solenoid just stuck open you will probably be replacing that solenoid before long 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »

Thanks Clifford! I was hoping it would be something as simple as that. Would it be good practice to try and have the Jake Brake off on warm up in the future? I always leave it on.

Sent from my GT-I9300

8V92 turbo 740 auto
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »

Gary -

In the revenue service world, 99.9% of bus drivers are taught to turn everything off before shutting down the engine.

Parking brake set, transmission in neutral, turn off all switches, shut down engine, in that order.

Fewer surprises for the next run.

Perhaps a checklist as a reminder, similar to a pre-trip?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »

When I bought my bus the little toggle lever on the Jake switch was broken off and it was stuck in the on position. Even though it wasn't important at the time, I don't like leaving things broken so I replaced the switch. Damn glad I did, because I was coming down a long grade with my jake on and nearing the bottom I stepped on the accelerator and nothing happened. There were some big rigs behind me and closing fast and I couldn't get her to go. Then I flipped the switch to kill the jake and there was a huge cloud of smoke and she shot into hyperdrive just like on star trek. The buffer switch failed so now I just turn them on when I need them and off when I don't. Some day when I win the lottery I'll replace the buffer, but in reality, that's one broken item that doesn't seem to bother me.
Will Smiley

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »

My bus will do the same thing when it is cold (I run 50wt BTW). It always gives me a two second freak-out when it happens. I have nothing to base this on other than it only happens when cold, and I forget and leave the switch on, so I think it has something to do with the governor and stiff oil causing enough drag to somehow push the buffer switch.  Unless someone can state a case otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »

The old style mirco switches sometime don't shut off it shouldn't make any difference if the switch is working properly even with the power left on, sticking solenoids are always my problem a little cleaning then they work

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: