Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 10:07:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Update on the Turtles Bus  (Read 1086 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:56:07 PM »

Hey guys (and girls) - was cleaning up and wrapping up some projects on the bus today and figured I would take a little video so you can see how it's coming along!

enjoy!

20130310_131941.mp4

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Scott Crosby

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »

looking good.

61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »

looks good Sean, use every possible square inch of space possible in your cabinets for storage. looks like you are doing so, nice bus, make it yours, good luck>>> John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »

Sean -

Looks a LOT different than when I was there last May!

Tremendous work, my friend!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
TedCalvert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:44:19 AM »

Nice!
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »

Looking really good. Great use of space. Did you do ceiling?...Would like to know how it was done if possible.

Cawston, British Columbia
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »

Hey All - Thanks for the inspiration.  I truly must say if it wasn't for this board and others and the amazing support from the bus community we would be driving an old crusty RV around the country.

TIM - PO did the ceiling...doesn't look too hard but I think when I asked him about it he mentioned it was not easy.  I really like it and have had quite a few compliments on it.  The PO is active on this board so he may chime in as to what and how he managed the installation.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »

Thanks Sean...Hoping he "chimes" in

Cawston, British Columbia
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »

Nice job, love your little pullout shelves in the Bathroom. Grin

Dave5Cs

tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »

Sean,

You are doing a great job with the Eagle! I know you and the kids are ready to hit the road.
The ceiling was the first thing that we did in this coach. Everything was removed from the ceiling including the insulation and any tubing was filled with spray foam. We then put in 1 1/2 inch roofing insulation and filled any voids with spray foam. Then it was lined with 1/4 inch plywood. For the curves we chose to cut 3 inch strips from the plywood. I heard so many horror stories about the glued vinyl and I had seen this type of installation in another bus and liked it. It has been so many years ago I do not remember all of the details, but we found the vinyl at a local cloth store and it had a 1/8 inch foam already glued to it. It was wide enough that we could split it to make 2 strips for the ceiling.
We started in the back with the first piece facing up and screwed a 1/8 inch X 3/4 inch aluminum strip to hold it to the ceiling. This piece was then wrapped around the aluminum strip toward the front of the bus. We had premarked with a chalk line where the vinyl need to be stretched to and in this way could get a consistent width to the front and also hopefully eliminate any sag. The vinyl was the stappled along the front edge. The next piece was stappled facing up on top of the first piece and another aluminum strip was screwed on top of that. This process was repeated to the front of the bus.
Not all that difficult until your fingers are aching from trying to stretch and hold the vinyl and your neck will not move from looking up for so long.   Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:27:44 AM by tomhamrick » Logged

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: