Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:13:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: detroit 6-71  (Read 901 times)
Crazypaul

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »

Ok just bought a 1948 gm pd 3751 and had it towed to the house 70mi from its point of origin. reason i had it towed one did not want to damage the engine because it went under during ike and i drained about 5 gal of water from her, frozen brake vave,ect. looking to start resto. but wanted to hear the engine run before investing more money in it. the previous owner stated the 6-71 had less than 100,000 when parked,my question is does anyone have a service manual on pdf i could have to figure out how to,where at, and whats what, to take mesures to insure a clean start up. your input would be greatly appreciated
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:00:28 AM »

Don't try to turn that engine over without removing the injectors.  The cylinders are likely full of water and you could bend a rod.  Good luck trying to rehab a 66 year old bus that has been under water.  Rear end and trans will also be full of water.  I would pass on that one.  They are hard enough to bring back when they have been setting in the dry.  JMO

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:05:17 AM »

I doubt he even gets to turn Boomer no matter what he does setting for 5 years full of water along the coast of Tx there were 100's of DD for sale I bought a couple and they had to be rebuilt

Evan is he gets it started it will be short lived he has work ahead of him but you have to give him credit for a undertaking of a project of such magnitude kinda reminds me of a friend who bought a old GM here in the desert lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:31:42 AM »

I would not waste my time on that engine unless you are going to do a major on it.  Good used left turners are getting rare but they are out there.
The trans and axle should, at the very least, be opened up and thoroughly cleaned.  Since it was towed, they have likely suffered some bearing damage.

I love the 3751 and I wish you all the luck in the world, but don't underestimate the size of the project.  And, that's before you even think about the conversion part of it.  In my opinion, a flood job is worse than a fire.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »

The 3751 is probably my favorite bus and if I were 40 yrs younger I might tackle your job.

However, unless you're doing this for fun without concern for $$ you will be many dollars ahead to find a decent one that has been converted and be able to enjoy it for awhile. After that you can decide what you don't like and change it. You will never know for sure until you have used it for a while.

I agree with all others, that engine will soon fail, probably out in the boonies far from home!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Crazypaul

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments, im head strong enough to handle the project but bought the bus to turn for a few bucks to buy a 4104 that runs and drives. Im ready to downsize and hit the road  with the fam .glad I found this fourm im crazy for coach's.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »

Dry it out, get it to run, sell to someone who wants to restore it, or needs it as parts.

That makes it more valuable than when you bought it, provided you paid the right price.

Ruthlessly, as little money and time into it as possible to get a small boost in value.

Your conscience will guide you as to the rest.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »

Since you're wanting to hit the road with the family-look at the GMC 4107 or 4109. 35ft buffalo with the extra height you'll have tremendous under storage for all the kiddies and your toys including bikes.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: