Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:58:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Following your GPS  (Read 2367 times)
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »

Funny story about GPS. We were driving through Atlanta ( I hate to drive in Atlanta ) and I looked down at my GPS and it had shut off ( Garmin 1490 will never buy another Garmin product ). I went into panic mode and started yelling at the boss to get the map and see what to do. Well some of you know the boss is always reading a book when we travel in the bus so I was lucky she knew what state we were in not alone the city and where in the city. I got a quick reply that I can't repeat. So I just keep it straight until I could get off the road and get things figured out. The boss did help me get through Atlanta and then went back to reading her book and the GPS came back on and we made it home.

Wayne
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »

Some places are very well signed, so much so that it seems like they actually thought about tourists.  In other places even if you know where you are going the signs are either non-existent or well concealed.  Ewen is absolutely right - you need to look out the windshield but sometimes there isn't a whole lot to look at.  You don't have to go to Mexico to find confusing signs but in Guadalajara for example, the street signs are little 8 x 10 plates on the corners of buildings, often set well back from the intersection.  Good luck reading them as you pass by at 25 MPH.  Many cities in Canada and the US seem to think they need to save money by only putting 2 signs  at every intersection - again good luck reading those if you happen to be headed the wrong way.  On balance even if the GPS gets you lost once in a while in the long run you are likely better to trust it.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »

I don't think the issue is whether GPS is of value or is less than perfect, but that in certain areas a system that is more specialized than the common units would be a good idea.  I'm sure there are systems that will avoid routes based on clearance heights.  If one does not want to buy such a unit, then a bit of extra care is important.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Bus Busted
My other truck is a Bus!

1984 Eagle 10, 1986 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »

I'm not a big fan of having more and more laws. What does the future hold? We start our cars and a computer downloads the latest batch of laws to make sure we are all up to date. In this case (the posted link) I would have done like Mc D's drive thru, in this case a mile before the bridge hang a bar on chains. Then 1/4 mile later a sign that says "Did you hear a loud BANG? Then you are TOO TALL for the bridge in 3/4th a mile" I'm talking really, the place with a strike once a week is going to wait for a law to pass when they could have installed the chain / bar thing in a few days. The bridge with be trash by the time a law goes thru and they could have made it taller during the rebuild that will happen while waiting for the law...

1985 Eagle waiting repair of burn damage
1984 Eagle Model 10, just started conversion
1986 MCI 102A3, seated when bought, conversion on hold until Eagle is done
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »

If I recall driving in Atlanta, the one interstate going south separates into  lanes that go away from each other like you took the wrong road, but end up back together in a couple of miles. Very disconcerting the first time.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »

I'm not a big fan of having more and more laws. What does the future hold? We start our cars and a computer downloads the latest batch of laws to make sure we are all up to date. In this case (the posted link) I would have done like Mc D's drive thru, in this case a mile before the bridge hang a bar on chains. Then 1/4 mile later a sign that says "Did you hear a loud BANG? Then you are TOO TALL for the bridge in 3/4th a mile" I'm talking really, the place with a strike once a week is going to wait for a law to pass when they could have installed the chain / bar thing in a few days. The bridge with be trash by the time a law goes thru and they could have made it taller during the rebuild that will happen while waiting for the law...

There is a bridge somewhere that has a variety of warnings for tall vehicles including flashing lights, but it still gets hit pretty regularly.  There is a huge steel beam right in front of the bridge to take the hits instead of the bridge itself.  There is a web site dedicated to the bridge that I don;t know the URL for right now.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »

Brian, thats in Durham NC. Railroad bridge. Problem for truckers in NY is never on a Parkway only on expressways. I object to about 90% of Schumers bs laws. You will have to go to training? who pays for this one? We all will.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
bansil

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 03:35:10 AM »

There is a bridge somewhere that has a variety of warnings for tall vehicles including flashing lights, but it still gets hit pretty regularly.  There is a huge steel beam right in front of the bridge to take the hits instead of the bridge itself.  There is a web site dedicated to the bridge that I don;t know the URL for right now.

It's 11foot8.c0m
http://11foot8.com/

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »

Here's my tip for 'going thru' Atlanta, Ga. based on our traveling the route about a dozen trips per year.

Get in the HOV lane (2 or more occupants in vehicle) as soon as possible - don't leave the lane and keep your speed up!  Occasionaly the HOV lane will deviate from the designated route but, don't worry, it will rejoin again down the way.

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: