Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auxiliary Headlights on '81 MC 9  (Read 674 times)
wagwar

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:14 PM »

I'm going to install an additional pair of headlights on the bus - stock headlights are partially obscured by a bicycle rack. I found some snow plow lights that are inexpensive and provide both low/hi beam in a single halogen bulb.

My question is regarding positioning of the lights on the front of the bus. The two positioning options are slightly lower and slightly outboard of the original MC9 headlights or slightly above and outboard of the stock headlights. Just wonder if higher is better than lower?  Are there any DOT regs that limit height of headlights? 

Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

Not sure about the DOT regs, but there is a HUGE variety of trucks around here for farming, oil field, transport, concrete mixer trucks, delivery trucks, etc.

Some of these are all-wheel drive, adding an extra 6-10 inches in height for the entire rig. In most cases, the headlights remain in the factory as-built locations. I'm sure some would need a stepladder when it comes time to replace the lamps.

Lower ( as IN the bumper ) may be less conspicuous.....just make sure they are aimed correctly.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Are there any DOT regs that limit height of headlights? 

Here are the NHTSA's Federal Lighting Equipment Location Requirements that specifiy headlamps must be between 22 and 54 inches from the ground:   http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Other+Equipment/Trucks,+Buses,+MPVs:+Federal+Lighting+Equipment+Location+Requirements

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »

Higher is better for you the driver.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: