Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 02:34:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Question  (Read 2295 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »

I know nuts typically don't have unlimited funds. However, what is best practices for replacing tires? How many years should they be replaced at?

Thanks,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »

I just replaced the steer tires on our MC 8 because my wife wanted new tires. The old tires, Michelins, were 14 years old, had at least 1/2 the tread, and were not weather checked. They spent there life in my shop when not in use. I replaced the steer tires on the 4106 we had at 15 years because they were badly weather checked between the tread. My skid steer has the tires on it that were well used when I got it in 1976. My cousin has an F-20 International tractor that my grandfather bought new in 1939 that still has the original Kelly-Springfield tires on it. It has never been inside in all those years. So, how often do you want to replace your tires? I would not have replaced the tires on our bus yet if my wife hadn't insisted on it. She wanted another set of Michelins that cost $757 each plus mounting, balancing, and new valve stems. I would have bought Hankooks for about $200 less each, and they would still have outlived me. We replace the tires on our cars in less than 10 years because they are worn out. The tire guy says 10 years, but he wants to selling tires

Good luck with your decision, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »

John,
I think running your old tires until you use up all the tread will be fine, as long as you are only taking your mother-in-law to funerals, and as long as you don't exceed 20 mph. Just kidding!
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »

Thanks, guys. The oldest tires on the bus are maybe five years old now, so just thinking. Our steers are maybe two years now, drives four, and tags three, or so.

Right now, I am inclined to keep that steers at 10 years, or so, no matter what, but wanted to see what thoughts were.

Cheers,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Low Class

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »

Talk about good timing, I was just thinking about starting a tire age thread.  I have a Bridgestone R293 on the tag that just turned 12 years old.  When I mentioned this on one of the rv forums, I got called a fool.  Most of those people think they have to replace tires every seven years.

So, when do most of you replace tires age wise?

By the way, my 12 yo is starting to weathercheck and I am going to replace it soon.

Jim Keefauver/1985 Wanderlodge PT36/6V92TA/MT654CR/East Tn.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:05:05 PM »

I would start being concerned at 7 years. 10 max if the vehicle is stored indoors and tires covered when sitting outside for extended periods. Blowing a tire at speed is dangerous, and can do a lot of damage to the bus.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »

Can't claim to be an expert, but everything I have read warns to change tires approaching 10 years.  If there was no sign of checking, I might be tempted to run one on the back, but I would not take a chance with a steer tire.  I would also recommend using a tire pressure monitor.  I know that many have loyalties to various brands of tire, but I have generally gone with price.  Aside from Micheline being too expensive, several sources have said that they age, not wear, faster than others.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »

My bus is parked inside my warehouse. My first set of Dunlops (when they were still made by Dunlop, not by Goodyear now) I got 14 years before I saw checking on the side wall. Now have Michelin XZE 11R-24.5 16ply that are 5 years old. Anticipate another 5 years at least. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »

I am much pickier about the dates on my fronts than the rears. 

Now, this is anecdotal, but I will tell it anyhow.  I used to pull the race car trailer and my travel trailer (back when I full-timed) with an 83 IH S1900 5 ton truck.  3208 cat in all it's gutless glory, and geared for a 59mph top end.  Anyway, I had to go from Washington to South Carolina to move my kids back here.  The front tires were rough, but I had heard tons of stories from my uncles of using ridiculously old tires and getting away with it, so I decided to risk it.  On the way back, in South Dakota, the right front blew, taking the whole corner of the truck with it.  And the right one was the "good" one.  I had bought this truck in California, and it turns out that they were dryrotting from the inside out.  It had looked fine on the outside.  Luckily I found a sympathetic mobile repair guy and he helped me out.  My truck had a gas-engine Miller welder/generator on it, so I welded the front bumper back on, and patched together the corner of the hood with plywood, screws and duct tape.  Now I follow the 10 year rule on the front.  The rears, I'm still willing to play the percentages a little yet.  Guess I'm a slow learner.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
zimmysurprise
"Flight Risk" Don and Charlie Zimmerman 1978 GM PD-4108 Chardon,Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »

I'm due for steer tires (11R-24.5's). I checked a couple places by me and it looks like $400 each for Cooper Roadmaster or $450 for Firestone. Any opinions which way to go?
Darkspeed

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »

any opinion on these as they have a 24.5" with a 470rpm

https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_catalogs/trucktires/app?task=TruckTiresPC&subtask=ttDetail&ctry=USA&language=en_us&modelID=318&partial=true

Todd
4106-1070 6V92T + V730
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

Hi All, Living in las vegas and working in los angeles, the trucks and busses take their tires off in the winter going to salt lake and in the summer going to los angeles before enterng the desert, I have been buyng their tires for a long time, for a fraction of new price and I keep them 7 to 9 years, as they dry rot, check, early in the dry desert, lvmci...

Mci 102C3 8V92, Allison 4 speed 740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 06:18:06 AM »

I'm due for steer tires (11R-24.5's). I checked a couple places by me and it looks like $400 each for Cooper Roadmaster or $450 for Firestone. Any opinions which way to go?

I've had both Firestone and now Cooper Roadmaster for steer tires and they are both fine.  Two of my Firestone tires had a really strange wear pattern and two shops both told me it was due to installation issues.  The Roadmaster tires rode really harsh, but they had 110 PSI in them.  I decreased the pressure and they ride fine now.  For me, the Firestones were more than $50 extra.  I would have bought Firestone again if not for the price.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »

My experience with the average RV types, indicates mostly non mechanicly inclined nice folks who tend to beleive ever word they hear with no idea what is real.
So I feel listening to that average poster is a lot of horse hockey.
Just my opinion from 25 yrs of. listening to horse hockey
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »

I replaced fine looking 10 yo Michilens two years ago. I was afraid on steers a 65MPH blowout could very well lead to other larger problems. I also chickened out on the rears, having just replaced the air brake hoses, thinking how a tread leaving the sidewall could tear the wheel well, air hoses, and everything else within reach.

I replaced them also as I kinda figured costs would spiral upwards. (6) Firestone 560's IIRC, all steers for $ 2,000, but I knew someone.

I agree with LostAgain here.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: