Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:51:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6v92ta white smoke  (Read 2321 times)
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »

You are not getting much help,most of the time low compression like Geoff said is the problem but injectors leaking can cause a problem with it smoking that bad take it to a dealer or run it hard for 50 miles see if it cleans up
I don't know if it will take 50 miles but I do agree with the idea.  If this engine has been doing a lot of idleing/loafing along it may load up and smoke some.  Take it out an run the snot out of it then observe the smoke and performance of the engine.  This advice holds true for gas engines also.  Dealing with old equipment and trucks I often see an engine which appears to be sick only to be cured by a good hard run.  I just came off of a job where we had a towboat built in 1958 with 2 8V-71s for power.  One engine was pretty fresh but still put of a good amount of smoke after ideling for a few hours.  The worn out engine could put a smoke screen that 007 would be proud of.  I also observed that the good engine cranked slowly and would be running in 1-2 revolutions no matter what the temperature was.  The worn engine cranked pretty fast and ...... they bought either by the case.  See how it behaves after a hard run.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:10:53 AM by AndyG » Logged
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »

Well after speaking with the their lead mechanic who knew almost nothing about it, said its been smoking that bad for the year and half he's been working there. I guess I'll be passing on this one.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »

Good choice.  If it has been smoking for a long time you should find a different coach.
Electman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »

White smoke in a two stroke detroit = compression rings
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: