Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 07:08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ugh! Mice!  (Read 1287 times)
Mike in GA

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »

It's s been unseasonably cool here in Georgia this year. As a result, I have had two recent incursions of field mice in my MC 96a3. They seem to be coming in and congregating in the driver's area and behind the driver's seat. I have plugged up holes from the driver's side electrical panel (outside) but they're still coming in. Perhaps they are entering thru the spare tire compartment and ventilation hoses, but none seem disturbed.
     Any ideas on how to stop this, other than changing where I park?
     I did set out traps yesterday, six inside and two outside.
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
jetart

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:59:41 AM »

Try bait stations outside the bus (they are usually black with a mouse hole on each side with the bait inside).  If you can, put them along a wall or curb.  Then put a couple "tin cat" style traps (no bait) inside the bus.  If you can, try to place them with the holes along walls. (most rodents follow walls).  I suggest always putting the bait outside and NEVER inside (even in a trap) as you don't want to draw them in just to catch them.  Farm stores usually have everything you need.

This technique works great for bus barns, houses, etc..

good luck

'82 Prevost LeMirage XL, 8V71NA, 6 speed Spicer, converter unknown
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »

Mike,

Traps are fine.  I would not bait.  Been there, done that, they die in the coach and finding them is a real challenge!  My family of mice died on top of the coolant expansion tank in the engine compartment.  It took several hours to drop the tank, plus draining a few gallons of antifreeze. 

Cats are good too.  We were adopted by an outdoor cat last July.  I haven't seen a mouse since.  I feed her daily, but the hunting instinct runs deep.  She'll eat whatever she can catch, birds, mice, moles, chipmunks, etc.  She normally can be found under the bus!

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »

I had mice get it the bus twice, I couldnt figure out where they were getting in, one evening just after dark I turned on every light in the bus went outside looking for holes any sight of light, finally found where my cables went to the generator there was enough room for the mice to squeeze through, so I plugged the hole with steel wool, no mice since, 2 years, I do set traps every year when I winterize just in case, those little critters can do alot of damage in a hurry! >>>>> John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »

We picked up a couple in our bays last Spring somewhere. A couple regular old fashioned spring loaded traps baited with peanut butter and placed in the bays. 2 mice caught in a few days. None seen since then. They may be coming in through the hole whereyour brake linkage goes through the floor or the hole your steering shaft goes through?  They can get through a pretty small opening.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »

This is the best thing I have seen to get rid of the little critters.  Take the bucket to the city dump and let em go Smiley

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaSk79YcuIRQ

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »

They love the spare tire area. It's impossible to seal it off from the outside world, but we sealed off the spare tire area from our living space. Spray foam where the transmission cable goes into the spare tire area solved our mice problem. Never had them since though I'm sure we have them in the spare tire
Area. Hope they don't chew anything

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
longjohn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »

Was reading  a Cold weather living blog in rv , bus whatever last night and they as many do use  oooo steel wool ( be careful it is highly flammable) and then add a few drops of peppermint oil . Says keeps mice away.  These folks go by the handle  RV Geeks they are not paid by anyone  and when a product name was stated ,it was only because of using it themselves. dont know if the peppermint oil works or not.........lj

John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »

They can't be sealed out, that is an exercise in futility.

Place traps or poison bait at the wheels/tires since they have to enter via one of the wheels unless you have something else touching the ground. If so, put a trap there also.

Clothes dryer softener sheets inside the bus work pretty well but they lose potency in a short time.

Do not use poison if you have wandering pets or children!!

I have neither and the best poison, called Bar Bait, can be found at your friendly farm or hardware store.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »

If you are using bait regularly you should rotate active ingredients because there have been cases of resistance documented.  I like to bait near the tires on any parked unit as well as inside the vehicle.  We built bait houses out of old margarine tubs for inside the bays.  Cut a small hole in the margarine tub - they'll go through an unbelievably small hole, something the size of a quarter is adequate - and then put bait inside the tub.  That way if they chew on the bait and make a bit of mess it doesn't get spread around the storage bay.  I suppose it also keeps the cat out of the bait but he can't get in the bays anyway.  Cats are an effective control measure but they bring their own set of challenges.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »

I set baited traps outside, then keep "FreshCab" pillows from Tractor Supply or Southern States in cabinets and drawers inside the bus. I freshen the pillows with more peppermint and spearmint oil from time to time when they need to smell stronger. You can buy the oil in little bottles at most drug stores. That's cheaper than new FreshCab pillows. Works for me.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »

I had that problem in the 04, so I changed the keys for the locks. Haven't had any trouble since. Oh, and they can squeeze through some pretty small holes. Check baggage compartment doors for tight seals. You might have to crawl into them and have someone lock it to check for openings. You also might need to check under driver's compartment and underneath coach.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

I had that problem in the 04, so I changed the keys for the locks.

So I take it that you didn't give the mice the new key? Smart thinking....

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »

Mike

Gus has the right idea.  drier sheets every where. just replace several times a year.

Haven't had any mice in years. 

the sheets pinned to your collar also keep away flying bugs at night.

also makes the coach smell better after being shut up for several weeks.

have a nice day mike.  going to Blytheville with us.

If so I will bring a old bike for you to try out.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

Once found a 4ft snake skin is the hole where the parking brake air lines come thru..Guess it used to peel off old skin.  Sure it caught several mice. Opened doors plugged hole. Checked all around. Sure made me more nervous than mouse.  Have seen it in barn since.  Sort of good to have outside bus! I do dryer sheets and bait cans as extra caution.  Have lost air lines to mice..   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: