Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 07:05:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cab Over Conversion?  (Read 4006 times)
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 04:51:39 AM »

I'll bet quite a bit of engine/mechanical noise with that setup. There is a reason to have the engine at the rear.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 05:49:19 AM »

They are a lot quieter than one would think in a Pete or KW the ride is a killer setting over the front wheel for me a high $$$ air ride seat is a must have

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 06:51:49 PM »

Same problem as a front control school bus, close proximity to the engine when underway.

99% of the forward control skoolies here in CA are rear-engine pushers nowadays.  Extremely rare to see one with a front engine, unless it's a dog-nose.

The pusher powertrain dominates the skoolie industry in CA, unlike the east coast.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »

Nothing better then to tilt a cabover and have the engine and transmission exposed. Yes there is a bit more noise, but the simplicity of a front engine and the serviceability has me sold-I'm just REALLY tired of dealing with my rear engined bus. Also, servicing is as simple as going to a big rig truck service shop-no specialized shop charging $130.00 an hour necessary.
When I drove, unless the road was really bad (like around New York City) I drove my cabover with my air ride seat all the way down with no air in it. Just liked being lower to see more out the windshield-plus it just looks cool. If you don't work on your own engine in your bus, then no biggie. But if you do work on your engine/transmission, after working on a bus, a big rig (especially a cabover) is really a joy. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »

I can relate to that Tom some buses are a PITA for service work

Life is short drink the good wine first
longjohn

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 08:49:14 AM »

When I drove, unless the road was really bad (like around New York City) I drove my cabover with my air ride seat all the way down with no air in it. Just liked being lower to see more out the windshield-plus it just looks cool

Tom  i agree with right wheelbase and the big air bags ( unfortunately most Freightliners of this era had the double pancake bags) the ride was great and going in and out of the meat and produce markets ,getting around was so much easier. the only down fall was trying to get dressed laying down Tongue   and  making sure everything was secure when raising the cab  (ie thermos bottle laying in bunk ........... replace more than one windshield) the access to everything is what i miss

John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 11:34:01 PM »

So what are some concerns here. Turning radius, ride comfort, did it have duals on the rear? could it be changed to an auto trans? How about the storage bays, much shorter than our buses? The interior is dated so do it yourself time frame & less cost or spend another $50k to have someone else do the update. Not saying I'm interested but was curious...

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »

Dated interior? guess it depends on your definition of dated. It wasn't done in 92, John, they just redid it in the last few years. he told me he would sell it for $25,000. 

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
MysteryBus

1965 GM 4106 8v71 4 speed Spincer

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 07:36:12 AM »

First thing I thought was how does cab seal up especially after time? And I think it was Jermey mention his friend had that problem. And cleaning up the Cab before tilting it I think would get me in a lot of trouble too. I bet they do have a lot of power though. First time seeing one, interesting conversion.

I mean it, youve got a nice place. Its not
 every man that can live off the land, you know.
 You do your own thing in your own time.
 You should be proud. - Captain America Wink
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »

One interesting thing is that it does not appear to show any rooftop AC's on the exterior but does show one in the kitchen area.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »

There is a rooftop A/C barely visible in the photos.  I'll bet the builder put a wall around the roof to hide stuff on the roof.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:34 PM »

As a truck conversion/toterhome owner I always thought that a cabover could have real advantages.  Mine is based on an FLD Freightliner conventional.  The best thing would be shortened wheelbase.  My truck has a 12' living quarters but an overall length of 30' (still has fifth wheel).  I think that the wheelbase is about 280".  I pull a 32' fifthwheel lowboy and its a challenge to turn corners with.  Anything to shorten the tractor would be good.  This thing is plenty noisy and I'm glad that I don't have to earn my living with it.  Is a cabover that much more noisy?  It's a pleasure to ride in a bus with the engine way in the back. 
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »

Noise wise-yes a cabover is more noisy. My first truck had a 8V-92TA that I never got tired of it's song. My current truck (that I'm converting) has a Caterpillar 3406B mechanical that while different sounding, still has a nice song to listen to all day long. When I drove, I typically didn't turn the tunes on until around 3pm when I was starting to get tired. One of the big pluses is also being able to hear something starting to go wrong long before it brings the vehicle to a stop. With a rear engine bus (unless it is fully electronic) you won't here much until the bus starts to shake, smoke, miss fire, or just plainly stop. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »

My tired old worn out body would not like trying to climb into the drivers seat and my wife could not do it.  Love the low step height of our buses.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:41:59 AM by Don4107 » Logged

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »

My tire old worn out body would not like trying to climb into the drivers seat and my wife could not do it.  Love the low step height of our buses.

That's what my wife and I think. You got to be a dog gone monkey to get in and out. She wouldn't like having to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom while going down the road either. Theirs always tradeoffs to everything. That particular conversion looks like it's close to a 400" wheelbase. Shocked

Sent from my GT-I9300

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: