Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 06:43:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter is here, what do I do????  (Read 2776 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »

I think there are several things that need to be tended to for winter on my bus, but I'm not sure I know what they all are.

Obviously, the water and waste tanks need to be drained along with the lines. Water heater drained.   Any other tanks or lines need to be drained?

I don't have house batteries and inverter yet so I don't have to maintain them, but what about the engine batteries?? Trickle charger?? What kind?

Also, I have taken pix of the entire inside and all the compartments and put them pix here:
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/?sc=1&addtype=local
I was thinking maybe if any of you guys had any suggestions on what to put where, it may help. The water tanks and propane tank in the one bay are going Bye-Bye. I'm going to make space effeceint tanks for all the water and wvo in that bay. There should also be room for the aux. heater and smaller propane tanks (fork lift tanks).

Thanx Guys!
   Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 04:12:59 PM »

I really enjoyed looking at the pictures. What a great collection! 

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 04:21:19 PM »

Be sure and add potable antifreeze to all the traps in the sinks and showers and anywhere else a water trap would be.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »

One point-fork lift propane tanks are not the right ones to use.  They typically pick up liquid propane, whereas you want a propane tank that is vapor only.  Just so you don't make a mistake.  The pictures look great.  Love the house.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

If you blow out all your water lines, it will take less antifreeze to fill them up. If you don't use antifreeze you have a few points that are notorious for holding water and freezing. These are the vacuumn breaker  and the flush valve on the toilet and the shower head.. Make sure that you don't have any low spots in the water system that will freeze.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »

Thanx for the compliments guys!!

I did not think about the "P" traps. Thank you!!!! What or where can I get potable antifreeze? Hardware store??

These are the vacuumn breaker  and the flush valve on the toilet and the shower head.

Hmmmm, not sure what that is but i'll look around.

I think the propane tanks will be fine. I use them with my portable forge.

Thanx again,
  Chaz
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:12:57 PM by Chaz » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 05:17:35 PM »

Depending on where you live determines the source of potable antifreeze. If there is cottage country in cold areas, even the grocery stores sell it. Otherwise go to a RV store.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »

Don't forget the hot water heater. If it doesn't have a bypass, install one, makes blowing out the system easier. Don't know what sort of HWH you have, but a propane unit has a drain plug inside the access door.
Another option is to get a couple gallons of potable antifreeze and drop the pump inlet (shower hose fits the pump inlet) and pump antifreeze thru the system. This is what I do, keeps everything free and ready to use. This is the reason for a hot wate heater bypass. Just operate each water valve until "red" come out....this will fill the traps too. Won't take much...depending on the design of the water system.
May I ax what's in the "gasoline" jug in the bay?
Be sure that the holding gates are dry, or that potable antifreeze displaces any water in the valves.
The pottie may need a dollop of antifreeze also. Keeps the rubber seals from drying out. I'd leave a little on top of the valve.
And, as has been stated, get some RV style propane tanks for your coach....fork lift tanks are not correct for that application...even though someone may have modified one to use. RV appliances don't use "liquid" propane...they use "gas vapors' drawn from the top. Installing propane is similar to wiring...lots of code bits to keep in mind.
We'll assume that you don't have an LP generator that uses "liquid" propane?
Best, JR
BTW, Terri wants one of those "hammer" pix...autographed. See you in Arcadia! Undecided
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:31:53 PM »

Depending on where you live determines the source of potable antifreeze. If there is cottage country in cold areas, even the grocery stores sell it. Otherwise go to a RV store.

WAL MART...they sell it cheap. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
belfert

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 06:17:29 PM »

If you have bypass valves on the water heater, be sure to either blow out the valves before closing them or let a little antifreeze threw them before closing them.

I always winterized my travel trailer with antifreeze, but not the bypass valves.  They broke one year because water was still in them.  These were cheap plastic valves, but I doubt brass would do any better.  We had to buy some fuel hose and clamps to replace the water heater bypass for the first trip that year!  (Autozone and Walmart in that town, but no hardware stores!)

Brian Elfert
Dallas

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »

I vote for using something other than RV antifreeze. That stuff is nasty!

A better idea would maybe be to use Vodka on the cold water side and Tequila on the hot water side.

Then during the winter when you want to get out of the house for a while you could tell SWWNBD that you are going to check on the water system, you know, just to make sure it's not frozen up.

If you want to test the hot water, just get a little grenedine in a glass and turn on the faucet or if it's a James Bond kind of day, use the cold water in a shaker with some vermouth.

You can see the infinite variations possible!

And by spring, the lines will be clean and empty!

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cry Cry
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

OK,

"the one that dies with the most toys wins"

bumper sticker sure fits dosn't it?
Nice projects Chaz, you have enough of them for two or three life times!
JimCallaghan 4106
Wisconsin

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:28:39 PM »

GO South Smiley

73 MCI-7
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 06:51:56 AM »

Thanx for all the advice, guys!!

May I ax what's in the "gasoline" jug in the bay? 
I was filling my gen and just threw it in there to get it out of the way.

And, as has been stated, get some RV style propane tanks for your coach....fork lift tanks are not correct for that application...even though someone may have modified one to use.   RV appliances don't use "liquid" propane...they use "gas vapors' drawn from the top.

Thanx JR. But my tanks are duel purpose. I have been using them on vapor for my portable forge for 5 years. As a matter of fact, I am using one in the picture that Terri likes!!  Smiley I just have to use them vertical as opposed to horizontal. Thanx for the word of caution, tho.
 Tell Terri I'll try to remember to bring her one to Arcadia providing I don't have a blonde moment!! (it's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!)  Grin  That is also providing I make it! Still have lots to do!
 Thanx also for the Wal-mart tip. That is a bit of a trip also, but probably the best bet.

A better idea would maybe be to use Vodka on the cold water side and Tequila on the hot water side.
Good thinking Dallas!!! Your always on top of things, huh. Creativity is the key!!! I wonder what wine will do??? Roll Eyes

Thanx JimC. Not ALL are mine, but I have at least two lifetimes worth.  Wink I looooove the vehicles!!

Bob, that is the plan....eventually, but it will probably be more "South-West". (just look at my house on my site!!)

Is that all there is?? That ain't bad. I guess the batteries will be fine.

Thanx again!
    Chaz

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 07:50:35 AM »

If you have to winterize regularly the best investment of time you can make is to install 3-way valves ahead of the pump(s).  Put the common on the 3-way to the pump, run one side to the tank and the other side to a length of garden hose sufficient to get outside the bay.  Then when it is time to winterize just switch the valve, stick the hose in the A/F jug and pump the lines full.  No mess and it turns an ordeal into a quick and easy project.  It takes a little time to get the valves installed but you will never regret it.  This is about the first mod I have done on every RV we have owned.  The other thing I find useful is to make a checklist.  I'll paste mine in below as an example - I figure if jet pilots who fly every day for 40 years can use checklists then there is no shame in me using one too.

Winterize procedure:
-drain both the tanks
-switch the 3-way valves to the winterize position
-disconnect the ice cube maker behind the fridge
-drain both the filters & discard the filter elements
-shut off & drain the drinking pressure tank
-replace the drinking filter housing
-suck A/F into the drinking system until the icemaker runs pink
-cap the icemaker line
-run the drinking tap at the sink
-set up coach water pump to suck AF do not replace the filter housing yet
-open the coach tap at the manifold and run pink on the ground through the open filter housing
-replace the coach filter
-open the coach tap & the coach fill briefly to run antifreeze to the coach tank
-open the coach tap & the drinking fill briefly to run antifreeze to the drinking tank
-close the manifold
-run the outside tap
-run the kitchen sink taps
-run the bathroom sink taps
-run the shower
-run the toilet

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: