Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 09:47:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much oil in an 8V71? (and other questions)  (Read 6713 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »

Remember, when you check the oil, you are checking the level in the oil pan.  That is why a measurement like an inch below the top of the oil pan makes sense.  Therefore, if someone says there 8v71 takes 10 gallons to reach that level, it would mean that he has a bigger oil pan.  As you already noted, your dipstick is not original.  That will be one of many things that are not.  Most of the alterations are probably fine as long as you learn whatever it takes to maintain things the way it is.  You could avail yourself of the original dipstick offered, or you could use the one you have.  Either way, were it me, I would want to make sure it is calibrated right.  Measuring the path of the dipstick to the prescribed distance into the oil pan from the outside of the tube is adequate; it need not be perfectly precise for this.

As with others, my engine takes about 7 gallons.  I add 6, and top off as needed.  You could have your present oil analyzed to see if it is still good, but you may want to just change it to start clean knowing that you have the right oil in it.  Sometimes people think that they are doing wonderful maintenance, but are using the wrong products or doing something else that is not right.

The advice about smelling the transmission oil is pretty standard to see if the unit has been overheated.  If you have filled the transmission now, and it shifts right, most likely there has been no damage to it that you will ever notice.  Although we know that anything is destructible given the right circumstances, this equipment is really well built and heavy duty, so you can hope it to be a bit forgiving now and then.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
qayqayt

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »

I would change the fuel filters at the same time.  For $20 it's a good investment.  Our 8V71 has the sock/element type filters - Baldwin PF902 (secondary) & PF845 (primary).  Change one at a time.  Fill the filter with diesel, let it soak for a few minutes, top off the diesel again and re-install it.  Start the engine to make sure your prime is okay and then do the other filter.

Bryan
Vancouver BC

Bryan
Vancouver BC
GM PD-4108
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »

Just for hohos, we service a 12V-71, oil change takes 94 gal, an ex AT&T unit
base cast pan about 3' high.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Barney Five
Expert

This world is not my home--just a-passing thru.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 04:53:40 PM »

Sounds like I came to the right place for answers!

Dreamscape: The more I learn the more I see I need to learn. Your thought about a manual sounds like good advice.

luvrbus: Thanks for the measurements. The one that's in there now is a long ways off if that's true, over an inch for the full line and nearly an inch and a half for the low. I'd like to grab that dipstick you have if Red Ryder isn't TOO proud of it. Right now I'm not sure how to get ahold of him.

RickB: Unfortunately I just dumped more fluid in without knowing to smell the old fluid. Still, I'll give it a sniff to see if there's any smell. You mentioned fleet farm earlier. I checked them out on Google and they don't seem to carry motor oil.

OneLapper: Just when I thought I knew all about dipsticks..... How much difference was there among the three?

Lin: I think I might just change it like you suggested (if I can find someone that will sell me some). Less than an hundred bucks is pretty cheap insurance. And yes, there's a lot that is not original. Plus there's some that is incomplete. The tach, temp gauge and fuel gauge are defunct at the moment. Plus the electric step was never hooked up. And some other diddly things. Apparently this guy had lots of backing, because what he did finish is well done, though.

qayqayt: Always! BTW, anyone know what kind of air filter this thing takes? Yeah, another reason to get a manual.

wg4t50: Good grief! What on earth does that 12v-71 drive? That's nearly two barrels of oil for a change!

Again, thanks for all the wisdom. No doubt I'll be back.

Bern

Bern LaLone
Gerrardstown, WV
1964 GM 4106 - 8v71 - Allison V-730-D
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »

Hey Barney Five,

You are welcome to that dip stick. It was the original stick from my 4106 so it should be just what you need. If you reply to Clifford (Luvrbus) I'm sure he can get it to you.

The list is too long to name the folks who helped me when I first bought my 06. Now I'm really dangerous. There are many different opinions found on this board so you will have to pick and choose the many answers you will get and in the long run you will become a better informed Busnut.

Tailwinds,

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
Barney Five
Expert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »

To Red Rider: Thanks, Mike, I appreciate it. Yes, I've discovered there are minor differences of opinion, and the funny thing is, they may all be right under certain circumstances.

To luvrbus: There you have it. Let me know what it takes to ship the stick. Appreciate all the good advice you've given, as well. Likely won't be the last time you see me on here asking a lot of questions!

Bern

Bern LaLone
Gerrardstown, WV
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »

Bern -

Welcome to the madness!  The disease is incurable, but can be controlled!  It won't take you long to figure out who the cast of characters are that inhabit this little corner of the web, as well as the other major BBS, www.busnut.com.  There's also a gmc busnut group on Yahoo, if you wish to take a peek there, too.  (BNO, btw, has a HUGE archive filled with tons of info.)

What's the VIN on your 4106?  I'll look it up in my roster and let you know who originally bought it from GMC.

As others have said, the 8V71 in this coach takes seven gallons when you include a new filter.

Joe was correct when he said to look up oil or petroleum distributors in your area in order to find the straight 40wt.  My preference is Delo, but Shell Rotella, Citgo and others are out there and available - just not on WallyWorld's shelf.  (BTW, Chevron has a dealer locator on their website, if you choose to go that route.)  Oh, and since the EPA's been saving us from ourselves again, most of the oils on the market today all have 1% or less sulfated ash content.

Which automatic do you have, you ask??  Fairly simply to determine:  Open the transmission access door on the curb side.  If the bumper end of the transmission looks like a big bowl on its' side, you've got a V-730.  If it's flat with a "V" molded into it, then you've got a VS series.

Ideally, you should have the following books: the Maintenance Manual, the Mantenance Manual Supplement, a Parts Book, a Detroit Diesel 8V71 Maintenance Manual, a transmission manual (based on which model you've got), and an Operator's Manual.  A library in itself!!  Several of these are available on CD format from www.coachinfo.com, but they also pop up from time to time on eBay and/or Craigslist.  Oh, and memorize this phone number: 1-888-262-2434.  That's the toll-free line to Luke @ US Coach in NJ.  Luke's a strong supporter of this crazy hobby, and has probably forgotten more about GMC buses than all the combined knowledge on the various busnut bulletin boards.  Parts are reasonably priced, ships same day when you use plastic money for payment, 99.9% of the time you'll get the correct part the first time from him and/or Bill.  Support those who support us!

Somebody else mentioned your location, and that leads to my next suggestion.  In the menu bar above the BBS, clicking on "profile" will take you to a page where you can do a lot of what you've been asking about, simply by editing the various options in the LH menu box.  One I highly recommend is to add a signature line, similar to mine below, that includes at least your first name, your home/base city & state, and your make/model coach including the powertrain.  Once you've got that info in a signature line, we can better help you by referring you to parts & service resources somewhat in your neighborhood.  Might even be another busnut nearby, too!

Since you're learning about this BBS, see all the buttons right above the message box when writing a response?  Hold your mouse over each one and it will describe it's function.  Notice how I put your name in bold above?  Easy to do by clicking on the "B" button.  Just make sure than any additional commentary is added after the brackets around the formatting codes.

For pics of your coach, I'd suggest using Photobucket or a similar site to post them, with a link (in your sig line?) for access.  Less size restrictions that way.  The usual photography tips apply - good color saturation and sharp focus, among others. 

I've been a huge fan of the 4106 ever since they first hit the highway when I was a kid, feel free to send me a private message anytime if you think I can help.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »

Check for a Exxon/Mobil  dealer in your area we all have our favorite brands mine is Mobil Delvec 1240 for the 2 strokes I'm not a huge fan of Delo 100 like most here know already 

PM me your address and I'll send the tube,stick and fitting next week then you should be original but you may have to remind me lol (the age thing) I forget 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »

7 Gallons!!
That is on the inside of the engine.

How much is on the outside is anyone's guess.

Air leakdown? If it is anything like my MC8, yes, it does, and quite fast at that too. Got rid of a lot of the obvious leaks but the rest are just an accumulation of very small leaks that are a pain to find and a pain to fix.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »

By leaking down, are you referring to the airbags dropping, the general pressure through the system, or both? 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »

Barney,

I tend to think in terms of engines and transmissions that are installed like they are in my Eagle.
I completely missed that you have a GM.
The engine is tilted and sideways. You have received the correct info.
The trans is most likely a 730.

I've only been in South Dakota for 7 years.
I get my oil in Iroquis, SD. I could get it here in Huron also.

In my opinion, sucking the oil out is not a good option.
The engine should be warmed up so that the crud is suspended in the oil.
Drain it warm. It will flow better and also flush more of the crud.
An analysis would give you much peace of mind as to the condition of the engine. Same with the trans.

Alisons are great transmissions. They are pretty hard to damage.

I think it was Dave Galey that explained it best.
If you put it in gear and it moves, it's good.
If it doesn't move add fluid until it does.
If the fluid reaches the top of the filler tube and it still doesn't move, it needs work.

I tend to go along with that. However I do check mine from time to time. If you overfill it, you will find fluid all over the rear of the coach.
It will just blow it out of the breather.

Always be suspect of the dipsticks in used buses until you confirm they are correct.
For some reason, many of them have been repaired.
I have found several, including mine, that were not the correct length thus were incorrectly marked.
Mine was a GSA bus. You'd think it would be right!
When I first got mine, I was constantly adding fluid and had the film on the rear and the trailer.
After Bob Ware showed me how to determine the correct level, I found my dipstick mark was 4" too high!
If you want to know how to do that I'll post it.

You will have to get over getting oily if you want to learn to maintain your bus.
If it is high enough when aired up, block up under the frame with timbers and go to it. wear old clothes!
If it is still too low, you'll have to jack it up, then block it. Or find a pit.
NEVER get under a bus with air bags unless it is blocked up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:32:15 PM by akroyaleagle » Logged

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Barney Five
Expert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »

I'm learning more all the time. Exactly what I wanted!

RJ - Wish all diseases were this much fun! My VIN is PD41062192. I'll be interested in what you find out about it. Wow! What a tome! I really appreciate all the time you and the others have spent answering all my questions (so far). Checked out my transmission and found the big bowl. Man, what a batch of popcorn that thing would hold! I even found a tag on it that said Allison V-730-D. Not that I know much more than I did, but knowing what it is heads me in the right direction, at least.

Books! I reckon as much as I have tied up in this thing it makes sense to learn how to take care of it. And really, that's what brought me here in the first place.

Now I need to see if I can get a sig line set up. Is that where you put the little pic (avatar?) that goes over at the left of a post below the stars?

luvrbus - You have my attention, I am coming at this totally ignorant, or nearly so. Why do you prefer the Delvac over the Delo? Tejas Coach tells of getting 2300 miles per gallon of Delo 100 but when he switched to Delo 400 his consumption doubled. Ok, 400 wasn't meant for 2-stroke engines and admittedly, that was about 30 years ago, but the question in my mind is, how does the Delvac compare to the Delo, consumption-wise. And what other criteria should be on the table as well that might trump consumption rates?

Tony LEE - <grin> Yeah, I remember the first time I stopped for fuel I thought there was an awful lot of oil dripping off the engine, so I asked the seller about it. "Oh yeah," he said, "That's normal. They slobber."

Lin - I know any vehicle with air loses its pressure while sitting, but this thing sags off to the driver's side within 2-3 hours or less and then settles down flat after 2 or 3 days. Any time I stop for fuel I have to pump up the driver's side to sit level. From outside the bus I can hear air hissing right after I stop. I have assumed it's coming from the air bags but maybe it's not.

My wife's Pappy drove for Greyhound for several years, way back when. Ran from Charleston, WV, over Route 50 to DC. Those were his glory days. He could talk for hours about his adventures. That's one reason we got this one when we saw it, it was kind of nostalgic from her growing-up years.

Ok, guys, I'm off for the weekend. Let's pick up right here when we get back. Thanks again for all the help so far.

Bern

Bern LaLone
Gerrardstown, WV
Barney Five
Expert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »

Had to try out my new sig line. But where did my avatar go??? Where and how do you upload your own pic? Obscure software is my nemesis. Maybe this is the time to add Photobucket to my bag of tricks. <sigh>
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:42:06 PM by Barney Five » Logged

Bern LaLone
Gerrardstown, WV
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »

Delo Chevron vs Delvac Mobil is kinda like the Hatfields and McCoys or vanilla vs choclate....I like Delo.

Here is where i would call to see who and where near me had my oil.

Delo 100
WOODFORD OIL CO
13th and Livingston St.
Elkins, WV
Phone: (304)636-2688
Delo 100
H.N. FUNKHOUSER & CO
2150 S. Loudoun St.
Winchester, VA
Phone: (540)662-9000

Mobil-Delvac
Tri County Petroleum Inc.
182 6-Mile Run Road
Riddlesburg
PA 16672
1-800-437-1802

Mobil-Delvac
Chesapeake Petroleum & Supply Company, Inc.
16821 Oakmont Ave.
Gaithersburg
MD 20877
301-948-3150

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »

Delvac was the oil the Detroit came with from the factory that is what the DD dealers sell for the Detroit line of oil for all their engines fwiw everyone has a choice I just like the Delvac 1240 had great luck with it over the years Delo not so good.

I guess Charlie still has the BS on his Tejas site lol
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:03:38 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: