Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 01:01:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: old and dirty,dunno what it is??? pics inside...cool old bus  (Read 2715 times)
bansil

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

I found this a week or so ago and finally had time to drive back and check it out today

The owner wasn't there the guys that own the property that it's resting at said this:

1)they were told "it's the last 1949 like it"
2)the owner is a true hippy
3)it runs with a DD
4)rearend is bad
5)owner and his father are/were the best DD mechanics around and had a shop in bakersfield or down by the shore(Cali)
6)it has spent most of 2012 in AZ (signed tags and messages all over out side)
7)it drove here

That is all I know

So what is it?It had very cool windows

Doug

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »

Doug -

That's what's known as a GMC "Silversides", Greyhound's pre and post WWII workhorse.  It's either a model PD3751 or PD4151, you'd have to look on the serial number plaque on the dash for proper ID.

Inline 6-71 Detroit with a "four-on-the-tree" manual gearbox.

Southern car, based on the "Teche Greyhound Lines New Orleans LA" on the baggage bin door.  Non-rust belt bus - a good thing!

Consider these the "before" pics, wait 'till you see Boomer's Silversides!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »

I saw that bus here setting off Grand Ave a year or so back someone told me it was a 4151 silver side GM a 47 or 48 model the guy didn't know for sure and I defiantly didn't know, the rats inside could play line backer for green bay the guy called those roof rats common in that area I understand so I didn't look very close

Mark ( Boomer) will know for sure it could be another project for him
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:27:18 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »

Hey I'm not sure but I think that's a Silverside, lol, or what's left of one.  No more projects for me Clifford, I'll be lucky to get the Crown finished before I croak.  Finally got out of NC this afternoon, bus driving like a dream, cruise and power steering, how sweet it is.  Stopped for the night just east of Knoxville heading for Blythville.  Raining like hell.  Finally got to meet Jack Campbell, he's camped at Gene Russell's and running the rivers up there.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »

Don't you love the DDEC 6L-71 one smooth little engine don't forget to post the mileage on the engine I am guessing between 10 and 12 mpg it may be better the way you drive

gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

My favorite bus, but if it is full of rats there is bound to be major damage, especially in wiring and rubber/plastic tubing.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »

Is it just me? Looks like nobody has used this bus commercially since Greyhound parked it...kinda interesting..

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 09:28:54 PM »

There is one of those at a truck shop on I-26 south of Columbia, SC if anyone is interested. It has been there for several years.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
bansil

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:36:24 AM »

Thanks for the info, my wife said thats pretty, when I showed her the pics last night "very sexy and elegant"
that was in it's current state. Shocked
Then I showed her a couple of the restored ones here and...well...I may of gotten myself into a dilemma  Grin

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 07:15:43 AM »

The Good Wife

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »

Charles, I'm in Columbia. Where is it? Not in the market, but love to see it and snap some pictures...
Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »

I would like to know about the one in Columbia also.  Looked at three near Spartenburg last week, nice western buses in fair shape for a Silverside.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
JRandall

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »

Many of you will know the concept of a "rat rod".  Have built a few of them. If you don't know, the process is to keep the exterior in as original shape as possible... including surface rust, old paint, etc. while replacing all running gear, wiring and upholstery with brand new materials.  (I know, it is not for everyone).  But this would make a neat "rat bus".  What new and modern running gear could you actually fit into one of these?   

Randall... a noobie from Fresno, CA. Don't yet have a bus, but looking and leaning to an RTS. I like the lines and research indicates to me that while they have less storage, they seem to be simpler.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

oops

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »

But this would make a neat "rat bus". 

You're not the first to think of it - but doing it with a full-size coach would be cool.

BTW, there's a 'double roof chop' Routemaster bus that turns up at rod shows here. It's actually the mobile club-house for a hot rod club.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: