Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:01:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to build pass thru luggage bays  (Read 911 times)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:13:04 AM »

So, Heather and I are struggling with how to somehow include pass thru luggage bays in a future truck coach conversion. I like how Kingsley stuck Prevost bodies onto truck frames...but is there a physical way to build pass thru bays into a truck conversion? Does the frame have to jog down or up?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »

Lots of buses are built on full chassis and have pass-through bays - generally the main frame rails are above the bays as per the photo below. My own bus is like this. Not sure how you could change the height of the frame rails on an existing truck chassis though - that sounds like a mind-blowing amount of work.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »

Jeremy, The bus you show the picture of has a rear engine, so you don't have to work around a driveshaft running down the middle, below the frame.

Scott, It would be easy to build pass through bays behind the drive axle(s) unless you are going to have a rear garage like TomC. The more overhang, the more pass through bays. Also, right behind the cab might be possible, before the driveshaft gets too low. Have you looked at any truck conversions to get ideas of what others have done? I saw one truck conversion that had a large enough pass through bay to carry 2 ATV's. The truck frame ended at the rear axle suspension and enough strength was added into the walls to support the bedroom above. I think there are lots of possibilities with proper engineering. Have fun with your design.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »

What I did on my truck conversion is build the front of the box at 13' overall (13'6" overall over the garage). That gave me a 108" tall interior. Then 24" up from the floor built another floor that gave me 6'10" of interior space with an automatic 24" tall basement. The kicker is that this basement area is accessed from the entrance door well-meaning you never have to go outside to access the basement. In this basement area are my two A/C units, the 115gal gray water tank, two 98gal fresh water tanks (tied together like one), two 10gal water heaters, water pumps and water distribution manifold, over the road heat & A/C system, 800amp deep cycle AGM batteries. I have enough space left over that we've bought plastic bins from Ikea that have wheels on them. There are two bins-one 18" tall and another 6" tall that make the exact 24" (the basement is a bit higher then 24"). Then I can just pull out whatever bin I need-mainly for seasonal clothes changes. At the rear of this basement is the 13ft long garage for a sub compact car like a Mini or Toyota Yaris.
Then around the perimeter under the box attached to the frame of the truck-on the left side going back-4-size 31 starting batteries, 150gal fuel tank, 12kw generator, 20gal propane along with the dump and water fill. Behind the rear wheels is another storage compartment that will house long items like tents. On the right side going back is a storage cabinet for my pull out BBQ, 75gal fuel tank for the generator, remote radiator for the generator, side entrance door, compartment for my 69gal black tank, rear wheels and then another long storage compartment. For servicing reasons, I did not create any through storage at frame level. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »

Here are three pictures of just the framing back from 2009 so you can better see what I'm talking about. Good Luck, TomC
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:34:03 AM by TomC » Logged

Entropy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »

That is really cool Tom.  Is there a build thread or build description with more pictures somewhere?  Also, curious what drove you to a truck conversion.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »

I have more picts on my Facebook page. I go by Thomas R Christman.

Main reason I'm doing a truck conversion-I currently have my completed AMGeneral 40ft transit that works perfectly well. But-there isn't room for bicycles (just put them on the towed) and have to tow my car which is a big pain. Plus I had my Kenworth cabover tractor sitting around and in this day and age, no one wants to drive a cabover anymore. So the truck was basically worthless (maybe a few thousand). And I have gotton VERY tired of dealing with the rear engine, the lowness of the bus, and constantly worrying about getting service if something happens to the 8V-71. My truck has a mechanical 3406B Caterpillar-of which Cat still makes a 3406C mechanical which is very similar. I drove my truck 1.2 million miles and I know how relaxing it is to drive my truck as compared to the bus. Plus the truck is at least a foot higher. My bus gets 4.5-6.5mpg. I'm anticipating the truck to get around 8mpg. Also, anyone at a truck dealership, truck stop, etc can work on it. It has parts that are still being made. Granted the ride isn't going to be as good, and a it will be a bit noisier driving, but no vehicle is perfect. Good Luck, TomC

Entropy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »

Thanks Tom, great pictures!
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:27:20 AM »

very cool ideas. So after the rear axle...and up near the cab...ok. The rest I'll just have as shallow bays...thanks for the pics...

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: