Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:30:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing fuel pressure gauge - DOT line ok?  (Read 747 times)
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

I want to put a mechanical fuel pressure gage up front so I can see what my fuel pump is doing, since it isn't stock.  I have a braided line to get to the frame rail.  I also have a bunch of 1/4" DOT line that someone gave me.  Is that line ok for the fuel pressure line, or will the diesel eat it, or is there some other issue?  I don't want to pay for or run a 25 foot long braided line to get to the front.  I also don't want to die in a fiery inferno, or worse yet, catch the bus on fire.  The gage comes with 1/8" plastic tubing.  The DOT line should be at least as good as that, shouldn't it?  Max pressure on gage is 200psi, pump shouldn't get past 160.  Sorry for dumb question.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »

I have a fuel pressure gauge mounted on the secondary filter. All I need to do is look at it once in a while at idle and at full fuel rpm to know that it is normal. As a matter of fact, as long as the engine is running well, who cares about fuel pressure. Why do you need to see it all the time at the dash?

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »

personally, I wouldn't recommend it. A line failure could create some type of mess. How about an electronic gage with sending unit? Or install a warning light sender on the filter head. Get one that will cause the light to come on at say 15 to 25 psi, indicating the filters are restricting and need replaced soon before engine quits.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Uglydog56

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »

I have a Cummins, not a Detroit. Fuel pressure against boost and pyro tell you what the engine is doing.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:43:49 AM »

The only safe line for a fuel gauge is indeed steel wrapped flex line or steel hard line, basically the same as any fuel line.  Why not use an electric gauge?  Just a sending unit on a filter head, then wires to the front.  I use Autometer and they are extremely reliable.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:25:42 AM »

Go to a Cat dealer buy the nylon 1/4 inch tubing they sell for fuel 300 # @ 180 degrees or the 10,000 # for grease and hydraulic lines they been using it for years for fuel gauges and remote grease fittings 

JMO but I think the DOT tubing may get soft over time with fuel

good luck
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:35:10 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Uglydog56

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »

Thanks, I will give them a call.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »

I have sen the DOT air line used for fuel for years without any problems. That said, I would e careful where you run it so a leak won't be dangerous or cause damage.  Perhaps even run it in a conduit of some kind.  I am very confident that the tubing will hold up to fuel, temperature, and pressure.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: