Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 02:07:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portland, OR to Destin, Fl - maybe  (Read 2103 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »

100 bucks a hole was the going price back then now a liner kit with piston, rings,wrist pin and seals no rods or bearings are 489.00 bucks from Detroit,heads 1200 exchange ea,blower 600 to 900 bucks good injectors almost 100 each the list goes on  

I just got 12 Jake Brake jumper tube seals from WW Williams today $3.52 ea  9 bucks for shipping and they would fit in a envelope $53.94 for 12 pieces of rubber, I won't be giving this batch away to my friends  lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:28:25 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »

I've listened to everything you and others have said. The help has been invaluable. These S&S folks are my kinda people.

It will be right when it leaves S/S or they will make it right go for it the rebuild it should last for a life time and be dependable with oil changes and TLC they run for ever it seems like  

This is what I wanted to hear!

When you get the final bill and there is something you don't agree with those guys will negotiate with you  

FWIW I been following you ever since you bought the bus and you are the only person I ever heard say that Smith in Salt Lake was a good deal lol you will find S/S is a good dealer if not the best      

good luck

New owner - 1969 GMC T8H5305a-020
This is the bus Sandra Bullock did NOT trash in the movie, Speed
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »

Are you home yet???

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »

Update:  after getting further inside the motor, S&S suggested, and I agreed to a complete out-of-frame overhaul. Everything looked in sorry shape. The cam had a chunk knocked out of it (but was rebuild able). I'm also servicing the radiator and transmission and rebuilding the blower.  These guys have been super and trying to educate me.  It will cost around $17,000 and I am going into my 7th week on the road. After eating in all the Farmington restaurants, I decided to stay in Santa Fe for the next week (here now).  The bus should be finished in a week or so.

I remember reading somewhere before I flew to Portland - to buy a return ticket in case the bus was not up to expectations. Totally ignored that advice. I've decided that since I will have a new motor, I might as well fully restore this thing. The interior is great. Hopefully the most expensive is behind me Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »

If you can afford it a out of frame is the way to go now you will be good for 400 to 500 k miles I try and explain to people a in frame is really a patch job that was all they were intended to be to try go another 100k miles maybe
 All new gaskets, seals, line bore if needed with no leaks the way to go IMO 

good luck
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:52:33 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »

When I had my 8V-71 overhauled, we had the block bored .030 over, installed new .030 outside liners with normal interiors and used my pistons over again. Rebuilt blower, one new head, all rebuilt injectors, bearings. Was $11,000 13 years ago. So your price sounds good to me. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Sipapu

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

They showed me where s new liners would not have fit well and said due to uneven heat transfer (no water jacket?), I could have troubles. I couldnt really afford this, but I also couldn't NOT do it. It will be nice to have a new one. Now I can start from the back (all pretty) and work forward in the coming years. Smiley

Thsnks for referring S&S, Clifford. They are treating me well.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: