Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 12:11:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Are Restraint Belts Not Used on Bus Bunks  (Read 3722 times)
ABart

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »

Hi All:

I have a question for you builders and operators about restraint belts and bunks.   When/if I get a bus, I will need bunks for our children.  Looking at pictures on this site and others, I do not see restraint belts installed on bunks.  I have crawled through more than twenty entertainer/star coaches and did not see restraint belts on any of them. From reading articles on entertainer bus accidents, one of the common injuries seems to be getting bounced out of a bunk.  

I am used to bunks with restraint belts. My wife and I are both flight attendants and the crew rest bunks on all of the aircraft have belts to keep us attached to the bunk while we sleep.  Is there a reason why bus bunks do not have restraint belts?

I have linked two examples of crew rest bunks.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »

My guess is that those belts on the airplane crew bunks are to hold the occupant in the bunk during air turbulence. Are they used at take off and landing times?

The no belts tradition in commercial and private buses is well ingrained and dying hard. Driving charter and hockey team buses for many years, I am used to everybody walking around the bus while underway. It is up to the driver to keep the ride smooth to keep it comfortable. Late model commercial buses have seat belts now, but the driver alone cannot enforce the use of them. In a private motorhome, it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to be belted on a seat at all times. Might as well ride in a pickup truck pulling a 5th wheel. Typically, your family and friends are up to use the bathroom, the kitchen, or go lie down on the couch or the bed, etc. My kids when younger would take a shower while rolling down the freeway. I doubt the single belt in your airplane pictures would help much in case of a head on collision.

It is an individual decision whether to have everyone belted at all times in  the coach while underway, or not.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
bansil

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:46:46 PM »

I remember taking a nap on the package tray at rear window in the car Grin

and the backseat flip and hitting the metal dash when dad nailed the brakes......... didn't hurt me....see Tongue

and since most bunks in bus are for and aft...a belt wont do much for folks sliding forward or backwards

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »

In sleeper trucks, we have a net that holds the sleeping person in-if they want when going down the road. The beds on trucks are sideways also-which means a net would be effective in a heavy braking or collision situation. But-the single belt as illustrated on the commercial airplanes could be deadly if you're sleeping on the sofa and have a braking event.

On my truck conversion, I will have two lap belts on the forward facing dinette seats (can't be designed into the rear facing), and three on the jack knife sofa, and of course the two seats in front (which are just lap belts). Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »

I'm curious as to the legality of driving with people sleeping in bunks.  I think it's done all the time, I don't know if it's legal.  I think the reason you don't restraint belts is that if you install one you imply a certain degree of engineering in the anchors, which normally doesn't exist.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »

We never use the bunks while under way.

Kids usually sit in the seats and buckle up.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »

I have a cargo type net that covers the bunk opening similar to a spider web. The kids will use them if going to sleep but not if just laying there playing xbox.
 Cool

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »

That idea has merit. However I would not use any type of belt, as kids tend to move around and probably wouldn't tolerate a belt. The idea of coarse mesh or inter woven strap material over the bunk openings would be a good idea, as along as it could be detached quickly, especially in an emergency. Helps to insure the kids don't get out of their bunks and wander around when they are supposed to be sleeping. I remember the bunks we had in the 50's in our converted school bus and especially preferred the upper one, as it had the windows. Many times enjoyed lying there in the daytime looking out the windows, watching the world go by. I can still remember the sound the wind made blowing through the screens. The bunk windows were modified, so that they wouldn't go down more than 6 inches.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:59 AM »

I'm curious as to the legality of driving with people sleeping in bunks.  I think it's done all the time, I don't know if it's legal.  I think the reason you don't restraint belts is that if you install one you imply a certain degree of engineering in the anchors, which normally doesn't exist.

Brian

I hope we do not need the permission from our dear government to sleep in our bunks while travelling....

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:07:04 AM »

I hope we do not need the permission from our dear government to sleep in our bunks while travelling....

I don't Grin

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 06:50:04 AM »

You don't need permission, you just need to be able to handle the weight if something goes wrong while you are doing it.  If it's even illegal...  From what I have been able to find out, maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  So far the reports are pretty 50-50 if you only need seatbelts on the front seats, all the seats that people sit in, or that if you aren't actually sitting it's completely open.  You gotta know every entertainer bus going has people asleep inside, stand up, walking around, cooking, whatever...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 07:29:45 AM »

If everyone had to be in there seat, belted in at all times, no walking around, no making snacks, not a single loose object(missile)no bunks or bed without restraints.....

I will just take the car..... Sad

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »

I make my 4 year old granddaughter buckle up and it's funny how many times a little skinny waif of a person has to tee tee in a 200 miles trip. I figure about 20 miles to the tee. She smiling the whole time she's up.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »

No need for belts in a entertainer coach most of those guys just flip a pill or roll their own then off to floating in la la in land

I strap my grand kids into the seat I never let them sleep on the couch when moving

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »

Would this work?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: