Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 03:48:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spring startup  (Read 619 times)
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »

Hi all:  I haven't posted much lately, did'nt work on the bus much this winter.  I did get a little done, but no where near as much as I would have liked to.  This coming fall I will hit the three year mark in this project, I have read many times on this forum to expect a project like this to take between three and five years, I am beginning to think it I get everything wrapped up in five years I will have done well, but is everything ever really wrapped up?  

Anyway, I am still having trouble getting my bus to stay primed.  Last fall we replaced all the fuel lines and moved the bus, but a few weeks later we tried to start it again and lost prime.  We ended up waiting over the winter and this spring I replaced the check valve, reprimed and had another go at it.  hopefully the check valve was the weak link.  I will get some video up showing what little progress I made over the winter.
mc9 reprime
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:53:39 AM by mike802 » Logged

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »

Great vid. I never tire of seeing these coaches startup and run. How long did it take to lose prime? Will you know if the check valve fixed the issue this week?

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »

We have a ball valve in the fuel line right next to the filters.  I only use it when we are changing filters in the hope of not loosing prime.  Otherwise, we have not had any problem.  Anyway, I was once advised to close that ball valve if we were going to be parked for a bit with the front on a serious downward incline.  So one question would be about whether you are on flat ground.  In any case, it could be useful to install such a cutoff valve and see if it helped with you current problem.  If it did, you would know that the fault is forward of the valve.  If it did not, you would know that the problem is behind it. It would also serve as a safety when changing filters.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

I went out this evening after the bus sat for about 30 hours or so and it started right up.  I will let it sit until next weekend and see what happens.  My bus does have the ball valve, it looks factory installed, but cant be sure.

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: