Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 02:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion of steel to aluminum stud pilot ?  (Read 582 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »

Ok, so I posted a topic of conversion from Stud to Hub Pilot. Thanks for the responses. Now, what if I keep the stud pilot and simply convert from steel to aluminum. Anyone do this on their MCI 9? What about a part number for the studs. I know they will be longer but not sure exactly the ones to get. Do I need to get the exact model of the new budd style aluminum rims?

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:25:07 AM »

I think you only need to convert the front studs if you use a steel wheel for the inner on the rear.  You would need to get longer Budd cones for the rears but the studs should be OK.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:38:02 AM »

Measure the thread from the nut to the end of stud you may not need studs if you get lucky

good  luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »

My bus had hub piloted 12R-22.5 steel wheels. I went with stud piloted wheels since that's what my truck had. The front studs did not have to be changed-although there is no thread showing. The rears had to be changed. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »

Grant,

When we did the project, I bought the studs from MCI.  We replaced the front and tag axle studs and just the outer studs on the drive.  The part numbers for the front and tag axle are 15G-2-4(RH) and 15G-2-5(LH)  at a  cost of about $15.00 each.   The outer studs for the drive came from a local heavy duty truck supply.  we replace each harded washer on the inside of the hub 15C-2-8 at about $1.20 each.  We had the harden nuts for the inside of the hub in stock so I am not sure of the MCI part number and cost.  All total including all new hardware, wheel seals  and six new alcoa wheels we were in the ball park of $3000.00 for the project. 

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: