Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 08:18:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Pro Leave it on or take it all off  (Read 4061 times)
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 06:59:56 PM »

Paul;
       Like everything else I have purchased on ebay I tried different combinations, fuel processor, Davco , fuel filters etc. I usually just look under commerical veh, and look for something I have to have and sometimes out of nowhere something I can't do with out pops up. 2 weeks ago under Kent-Moore I found a brand new simulator that you can plug a ddec 3 or ddec4  into and start and run with out the truck!. I had to have it. Now I have been looking for a DD sensor stimulator that shows up in my S-60 manuel under tools.     Ray
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 07:04:02 PM »

How many GPH is a "382" rated for?   All I've seen on Eplace (recently) are Racor filters...they are nice items, but seem way to large for a bus.   Probably why they are on there...the smallish ones sell well.  These must be out of a boat.

Thanks, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 07:10:20 PM »

... what is that device along the top of the clear bowl with a hose on each end?  Thanks Ray

That's my electric priming pump. It's plumbed into the inlet side with a check valve.

Here's a photo from a different angle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:15:28 PM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »

So, if I understand this right, this huge thing is used in addition to the two fuel filters already on the bus?

What does it do that two others won't (Other than what the factory sales pitch says)?

With three filters in place I don't see how you could ever tell which filter is doing what?

What does one of these things cost?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 07:33:20 PM »

Thanks Craig; Like the rest of your work First Class!  Ray
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 07:39:14 PM »

I removed the other two (recently, after 3 years). So now that's the only one on the bus.  Prior to that, it was doing all the filtering anyway, since it was first in line.

It filters finer particles than the other two filters. Sorry, I can't quote the numbers off my head and I'm too tired to go look them up.

You can find them for around $200.

They also can be used to heat the fuel. I don't have my electric hooked up yet.

The biggest advantage aside from the finer filtering is the glass bowl lets you know exactly when it time to change the filter. No more guessing about whether one or both filters is clogged. When the fuel level reaches the top of the filter cartridge, it's time to change it. It's about a 5 minute procedure to change, and the electric pump is used to fill it after the new cartridge is installed and flush any air through the mechanical pump. No filling and spilling of spin on filters. No messing with canister filters. It's cleaner and easier.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »

Craig,

Thanks, now it is beginning to make sense. I like the visual part and getting rid of the other two filters.

I have no electric pump on my 4104, how would I refill the bowl after changing the filter?

What is the price of the filter element?

Is there a water drain on the bottom?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »

I have no electric pump on my 4104, how would I refill the bowl after changing the filter?

There's a cap at the top of the bowl that is used to refill the filter. You just need to make sure your installation leaves room to get a bottle of fuel above the filter to pour into the hole. There's also a special wrench made for removing the rings and top cap. You can buy it direct from Davco for about $25.

What is the price of the filter element?

If I recall, the last ones I bought were only about $7. But that's coming off my head. I think I'm using a Baldwin filter element in mine. It's what the C&J Bus Repair are using in them. I haven't tried getting them at NAPA yet, but will probably do so soon, as I think I'm down to 1 left.

[qoute]
Is there a water drain on the bottom?

Yes. There's a drain fitting that can be plumbed with a hose to drain off water and drain down the fuel in the system before opening it up to change elements. I typically put a gallon oil jug under it to catch the fuel. I haven't had any water in the fuel, so I usually just recycle this fuel into my tractor. I've also been known to use some of it to start my camp fire quickly Wink

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »

Craig,

Thanks, I need to look into this.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 08:00:10 AM »

The Davco 382 is my choice of fuel filters.  When I spec a new truck (I'm a Freightliner new truck salesman) that is more than just a cheapy, I always include the Davco.  The factory takes off the engine mounted filter (unless it is the Mercedes-Benz that is built into the engine) and just uses the Davco.  The trucks come from the factory with only 20gal, so periodically a new truck will run dry.  With the screw top on top of the bowl, 2 or 3 fills of the bowl and the engine is running again (of course after putting in more fuel in the tank).  Personally think it is the best filter made.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dreamscape

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 06:00:08 PM »

Who is Davco made by, could no find a web site.

Are they similar to the Fuel Pro?

Thanks,

Paul
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 06:23:25 PM »

Dreamscape
Fuel Pro is made by DAVCO

JImCallaghan 41-6
Wisconsin

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
Dreamscape

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 06:38:33 PM »

Geeeez. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes DAH....

I guess I just learned something today........

Thanks Jim
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: