Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 02:34:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exterior LED lights?  (Read 3231 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:42 PM »

I've read that sometimes LEDs don't draw enough current to operate turn signals. Anyone have that problem?

They make more sense for interior lighting to save house batts.

I could be wrong (it happened once before) but I don't think its the low draw that is the problem.  I think if there is a problem it is because the flasher sees the LED as an open (like a burnt out bulb) and just won't work.  I know that when I switched the frenchy-bus over I had to put a single incandescent bulb in parallel with the LED signal lights in order to get my cruise control to work.

I agree they are overpriced but so is a lot of the stuff we spend money on and we do it anyway.  I switched my exterior lights because the LEDs look good and because they draw so much less power.  I had some circuits that were borderline overloaded with incandescents but aren't even close to a problem with the LEDs.  And I've switched over virtually all the interior lighting on both the bus and the boat.  No comparison to the time you can last off the grid with LEDs compared to incandescents or even worse compared to halogens.

As far as brands go, I bought all of my marker lights at Princess Auto but I ordered the Prevost specific replacements for the taillights and signals from International Bus.  Its so long ago now I have no idea what brand they are.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

There are so many rear lights on my cap and engine door that half of them could be out and I could still be seen a mile away! Never did understand that design either.

My only real objection to LEDs is the atrocious high cost.

I've read that sometimes LEDs don't draw enough current to operate turn signals. Anyone have that problem?

I had two regular light bulbs on each side for my brakes so I put two LED brake lights on each side.  The brake lights are almost blinding now.

I have standard 12 volt clearance/marker lights.  The regular lights cost about $4 each and the LED lights cost about $8 each.  Some of the lights were shot and it made sense to go LED.  As already mentioned my regular light fixtures front and rear had all kinds of issues and LED was just as cheap as replacing them through MCI.

Yes, I had to replace my flashers with electronic ones.  At one point my left turn signals were all LED and the right turn signals still had a mixture of LED and regular bulbs.  MY left turn signals blinked much slower than normal before I replaced the flashers.  (For some strange reason Dina uses redundant flashers.  I can remove either one and everything still works.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 09:37:18 AM »

Quote from: bevans6
There is a Setra light that is apparently a direct replacement for the whole assembly, but they are quite expensive, close to $50 each by the time I get them here and I need 16 lights anyway.
Brian

Brian last time I bought the Setra LED's they were only about $24.
And X's 16 is  $384 which qualifies for free shipping. (anything over $250 free)

Yes it's a lot of $, but we have almost ZERO failures!
That alone saves $ in replacement bulbs and labor! (at least for us being in revenue service!)
Grin  BK  Grin
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »

I changed my running lights to 12 v led lights from princess auto $ 6-$7 each 4 years ago all I had to do was replace the feed for power from 24 v to 12 v on the relay and I replaced the turn,stop lights by putting 2 12v lights together to make the 24 v .Looks great and a lot more light with zero maintenance so far.
In side the coach I just replaced 35  20w halogen to 3w led   WOW ! no more heat and way less use of power.                            dave                               

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »

So Scott, what was the price of the lites in the photo? I down loaded the catalog but don't see any prices anywhere?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »

Gus, if your original fixtures are in good shape, LED bayonet replacements are available on Ebay cheap.  At this point, I would do that rather than buying incandescent replacement bulbs.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »

So Scott, what was the price of the lites in the photo? I down loaded the catalog but don't see any prices anywhere?

not sure what Scott's cost but I called around and looks like $24 a light

with a 10 year warranty

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »

When I changed to rear LED's, the turn indicators work fine sine they are a solenoid, rather then a heat switch. The King Cruise would not work-just installed a 100ohm resistor in line with the brake switch, and all's fine. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:03 AM »

What is the part number for the Setra Lights??

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »

What is the part number for the Setra Lights??

I'll look and see if I can get you that.

I do know if you call and ask for the LED clearance lights for a 200 Series (S215 or S217) coach they will know what they are.  (or at least they used to be able to before MCI took over!)
Grin  BK  Grin
gus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

Lin,

Probably a very good idea except I have a ten year supply of spare incandescent bulbs I bought in bulk!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 04:43:28 PM »

Sorry guys. I've been one sick dude. Lets suffice it to say today is the first day I can actually stand any length of time without help. Not sure why no one can find a source for the American Superlite LED's but I love ours. Paid about $26 for each of mine. If you leave your incandescent bulbs in your side marker turn signals it will regulate the signal so it blinks at a normal rate. Replace those with LED's and it will blink super fast.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »

Same deal with mine -- the frame and reflector and other structural pieces were deteriorated so badly that they leaked water and were beyond repair; also, they were really crummy, low-output, old-technology units.  There was no reason to try to repair them or replace them with original.  I got some large-format LED's and I'll convert to front ambers with parking light function and turn signal together and similar units for taillights, brake lights and turn signals.  The side marker/turn repeaters on the sides, I replaced with smaller units with similar steady burning for markers (on when taillights or parking lights are on) and turn signals that flash with the signals on that side.  There was a matching white backup light, so I sprang for one of those, too.

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oonrahnjay/media/SuperBrightLED_zps018cf91f.jpg.html

B Henderson   NC   USA 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: