Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 02:33:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prevost & Greyhound  (Read 2808 times)
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:29:40 AM »

««The relationship between Greyhound and Prevost, which began in 2007, continues with the signing of a new order for ninety (90) Prevost X3-45 motorcoaches.  The coaches have been designed by Prevost to meet tough standards set by Greyhound’s commitment to customer satisfaction.»»

https://www.prevostcar.com/news/prevost-signs-agreement-greyhound-90-x3-45-motorcoaches

Gaëtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:42:58 AM »

Interesting, because Greyhound recently bought some of the new less expensive Setra buses.  Greyhound seems to have fallen prey to the corporate way of buying whatever product is cheapest at the moment even if standardizing on one manufacturer might cost less in the long run.  Mechanics have to be trained on each new model and spare parts acquired for each new model.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:18 AM »

Yep in 2010 the powers that be(FTA) waived the buy America clause( the 2 Prevost the president bought)  so don't be shocked to see transit bus made in China before long and Greyhound does get federal money for some routes 

The First Group a UK transportation giant does know how to use the system here but it is sad to see Setra and Prevost building cheaper buses for Greyhound 

There is noway now since Volvo is using their own components they can meet the 60% American built but they got it through FTA   

Look at this way just think of used Greyhound Prevost that will be on the market in 8 or so years lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »

They have to weigh all of the options and determine which bus will deliver the best balance of quality and price. PREVOST and MCI are highly regarded. SETRA is well regarded too but still too much of a mystery for some and VAN HOOL had some trouble in the early years but getting much better. If I was running GREYHOUND, I was just buy the same product everytime provided the previous experience was good. That way, whatever changes to a specific model are minimal and not alot of wasted time learning something different every 5 minutes
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »

Does anyone make a true intercity bus entirely in the USA?  MCI probably comes closest as they do final assembly in North Dakota, but the initial assembly is done in Canada.

I have my doubts the federal government could operate on only Made in the USA items.  It would difficult for them to buy any electronics or computers Made in the USA.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »

Well, they obviously like the rival too. http://www.mcicoach.com/media-center/2013-04-01-greyhound.htm
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »

I still wonder why they wouldn't standardize on one model to make training mechanics and stocking parts easier?  It appears Greyhound has purchased from Setra, MCI, and Prevost all in the past year or so.  If they made an order from Van Hool they will hit all the major intercity bus makes currently selling in the USA.

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

I still wonder why they wouldn't standardize on one model to make training mechanics and stocking parts easier? 

My guess would be that the manufacturers are not just supplying a bus - they're probably supplying Greyhound with a complete 'just add fuel' package which incorporates a multi-year maintenance contract and probably even a guaranteed minimum buy-back value after 5 years or whatever (if it's even a purchase - more likely it's a lease deal based on annual mileage agreements).

Bizarre as it might seem, even hospitals and schools etc are supplied on that kind of deal here. Saves the Government money (up-front at least), and in theory results in a better-built and better-run facility provided efficiently by the private-sector in return for the minimum number of tax-dollars. Lots of debate as to whether it actually works like that in practice though

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 06:57:36 PM »

If you standardize, the vendor will screw you.

Standardization works on paper, not in reality.

Buy a little from each, keep them guessing, they all have to try harder to ki$$ your A$$.

If you are tied to one vendor, what do you think they charge for proprietary parts once they have you?

Orion wants $140 for an extruded aluminum strip for trimming the transit bus entrance way floor edge and wheelchair ramp. Big Transit here got a local company to spit them out for $11 each, including the die, for our volume.

For those who didn't click, MCI has sold 130 D4505 coaches to Greyhound, Prevost sold 70 X3-45 as noted.

Coach Canada, a Stagecoach Group company,  does the same, besides the Van Hool double decks for the Megabus brand, a mixed fleet of MCI and Prevost, after a few years of purchasing MCI J models, now a set of Prevost H3-45.

Check the Coach USA franchises, the same, you'll see a mixed fleet.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 07:52:55 PM »

Greyhound wouldn't necessarily have to buy the same model year after year, but three contracts in a year's time with three different vendors doesn't make much sense either.  If it were me I would be putting out the bus contract for bid every year or two and getting the same model for at least a year or two.  I guess this is why I'm not a businessman.

The local transit company asks for bids to buy new buses every few years.  They buy large batches of the same model to make things easier.  All of the suburban commuter buses so far have been MCI with the exception of one Van Hool I have seen, but I believe the Van Hool was operated by a contractor that operated one suburban route.

Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »

Greyhound Station in Downtown Philly

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »

Looks like the MCI takes that round 3 to 2 lol

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »

Unlike the days of yore, Greyhound doesn't own their fleet - they lease them. 

So whoever comes up with the best lease deal wins.

Until the next bid goes out.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 04:04:15 AM »

So much for cost cutting. I see the PREVOST's have the aluminum wheels while the MCI's have steel.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 04:41:52 AM »

Yea those are older DL model MCI they are probably Greyhound owned I like the new colors it's going to take awhile for Greyhound to retire almost 2000 buses though
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:48:08 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: