Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 03:02:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV water pump  (Read 1281 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

What do you like?

What PSI is best?

GPM?

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »

I have a flojet --- I don't know the model but has served well.

Doesn't need a pressure tank and we have no shortage of pressure.

I will operate on 24 or 12 volts.

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »

I have a flojet --- I don't know the model but has served well.

Same here. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »

I use 2 Shurflow Whisper Quiet pumps plumbed in parallel-meaning you can use either or both. I have both on when someone is taking a shower and dish washing is happening at the same time. It only puts out about 35psi-but it is more then enough.
I like the old style water pumps with mechanical pressure switches. I was at a RV show talking to the Shurflo factory rep, and he said the mechanical pressure switches (that are adjustable) are like a truck-very reliable. While the electronic variable speed are nice, he said that when they go out, they don't work at all. The Shurflo factory rep said he personally would take the mechanical pressure switch over the electronic. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:30:33 PM »

Hi Tikvah,

Just replaced my Flojet with a new 3GPM and had the old one repaired for use as a spare.
The pumps are OK for the kitchen, toilet and sink but leave something to be desired in the shower.

I considered a higher pressure, high volume, 120 Volt pump from Lowe's - should have done just that!  The cost would have been near the same, longer warranty, and a real shower. 

P.S.  Already had an expansion tank.

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »

I have not had any issues with the flojet for the shower. As far as washing dishes when showering you can avoid that by getting the wife / girlfriend / partner in the shower with you AND it will save water. On the noise side -- the pump is close to the back of the bus and it does let us know when it is running. Just adds to the personality of the experience.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »

Since we usually want to conserve water when running off the tank, it would seem that a higher flow pump is a disadvantage.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
morefire

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

I love my Shurflo Extreme 5.7!!
I found a deal, and bought 3.  Only need 1 because of how powerful (65psi)  it is, but I keep the 2 others on my bay for spares.

http://www.shurflo.com/rv-products/rv-pumps/extreme-series-water-pumps/extreme-series-smart-sensor-57/default.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:05:03 PM by morefire » Logged

David G
Toronto, Ontario
2009 Bluebird 40' Coach
Cummins ISX-675HP!!
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:07:55 PM »

I have the same one as morefire. In fact I also got a deal on about 8 of them.

I plumbed 2 of them in so if one quits, I can just turn a valve and the other one picks up the load.
I can then repair or replace the other when it is convenient. Haven't had any trouble with these.

I use less water per shower with the high pressure. If I'm not hooked to water, We use navy showers.
We have 100 gal and quite comfortably go 5 days with showers every day. That's probably a little less
than 10 gal per day each. I do not want to use less and I think Momma would have a conniption if I
suggested it to her.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 06:12:24 AM »

I have the Flojet Sensor VSD pump in my bus.  I bought a spare relatively cheap, but not really sure why I bought a spare.  The pump works quite well and I like that it works on 12 or 24 volt.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:54:23 AM »

We also use a Flojet sensor VSD 4.5 GPM pump. It provides all the water we need at 45 PSI.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:28 AM »

Aquajet pump.  Love it. 60 psi. Variable speed so you don't have to put a pressure tank in. I installed two 2-gal tanks anyway, and prefer it with the tanks
as opposed to without. The pump runs less often, but at full speed for short bursts, rather than running continuously on a low rumble during water use.

Make sure you get a screen and place in the supply line. We had an issue with teflon tape bits getting into the diaphragm before we installed the screen. 

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 09:13:40 AM »

We had a Shurflo 5.7.  It was a great pump. The pressure switch went out on it.  As it comes out,  this was a common problem. Guess what?  They don't have parts for the pump.  Buy a new model they say.  I explained that we probably had less than two full months of use on this pump even if it wasn't in warranty.  After a heated discussion they agreed to replace it with their "new improved smaller pump" for free.  I wouldn't buy another Shurflo product. 

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »

Like Tom, I have two SHURflo pumps in parallel, so I can use either or both as needed.   Mine are the simple old tried-and-trusted 2088-422-144 model  -  only 2.8 GPM, but by all accounts they go for ever, and are simple and cheap to fix if anything needs work.   A lot of pump failures are caused by FOD, so a strainer upstream of each pump is prudent.

I set my Watts 263A city water pressure regulator to the same 45 PSI as the pumps' output pressure.   I also have a strainer for the regulator to keep nasties out of it.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: