Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 02:01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combination Hitch  (Read 1731 times)
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« on: November 23, 2006, 07:24:34 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I was reading another thread and ran across the following statement from Homegrowndiesel

"I have been procrastinating my combination hitch-mototcycle carrier for awhile." 

This sounds just like the ticket for the yet to be purchased bus.  I have a Honda 1800VTX and 88 Jeep Wrangler
that I would like to be able to take with me when I finaly hit the road.  Can this type of mount be done on any bus
( I am still leaning towards a 35 footer like a 4106 or rts ) or am I limited to a newer larger model? 

As always thanks in advance,

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:22:34 PM »

Hi Frank,

Here are some Ideas if you like.

Blue Ox makes some as well as RV lifts of America.

And, you can probably get Bruce, Ross, and Bill to fabricate one for you.

Nick-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 12:24:45 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 12:30:43 PM »

All the pictures show what appears to be a production motor home which  likely has frame rails. As so often mentioned here, with a bus you have to be carefull with the amount of weight you hang behind the rear bumper. I am not saying it wont work, but be aware of what you are doing.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 12:36:23 PM »

Stan,

Maybe some busses are critical..?

A friend of mine in Chicago has a Gold Wing on the back of his 88 Prevost along with a toad.

And my uncle has done this for many years with his 4104. I'll have to find some pictures.

Maybe it just takes some engineering to do it right.

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:13:59 PM »

Just an idea which might not have occured to you - how about towing the Jeep in the normal way, then putting the bike on the back of the Jeep?
Might be a cheaper and more straightforward solution

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 05:40:22 PM »

Nick: You csan do many things that are generally not adviseable. On a six percent downgrade it is easy to get a bus well over 100 MPH. Possible - yes. Adviseable - hell no..

Take a look at the structure in the back of most early GM coaches. The back of the engine cradle along with the rear bumper hang on two 1" diameter rods that connect to a 1 1/2" square tube that is tied to the roof logitudinal members. Any attempt to transfer this loading to the rear bulkhead is a fallacy because the bulkhead itself is prone to failure. I have seen one of these 1' rods break in a bus that didn't even have a hitch. (I owned the bus).  As has been pointed out many times, the problem is dynamic loading if you hit a bump

Certainly the newer MCI buses were designed for a hitch and they pull tandem trailers all over the country for Greyhound. Maybe some of the other manufacturers have also redesigned the rear structure to make them more compatible with hitches. A lot of Prevost shells converted by the professional converting companies come with large toy trailers tied on the back.

Since a failure of the rear structure will be very expensive to repair, I repeat, be aware of what you are doing and what you are doing it too.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »

Certainly the newer MCI buses were designed for a hitch and they pull tandem trailers all over the country for Greyhound. Maybe some of the other manufacturers have also redesigned the rear structure to make them more compatible with hitches. A lot of Prevost shells converted by the professional converting companies come with large toy trailers tied on the back.

Anyone know how late a model the MCIs have to be? I have a '73 MC7 that came with a hitch already installed. I want to pull a trailer sometimes but I don't want to have the reinvent the wheel. The previous owner towed a toad & a small trailer sometimes with no problems he said. Any ideas? Comments?

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 04:56:11 PM »

Hey Frank

Yea I think that will be the ticket. Glad to see others of the same mindset. Wink

I would be wary of the toung weight on some of those busses mentioned and others.
I am glad an Eagle will  handle it. Knew nothing about it BEFORE we bought the bus.
 Glad to hear you are going about it in the right way. Looking before leaping. Roll Eyes
I think I heard?HuhHuh you can make that work on an RTS. (please someone knowlegeable chime in)
 I LOVE the rts design. Nimble, sleek, Etc, Anyway. Tongue

As we have all found, a hitch on a BUS will be a custom installation.  Shocked

Hey Nick, thanks for listing me along with Blue OX, Bruce, and Ross, All fine craftsmen.
I wish the days were longer. and my focus could be more on OUR BUS, as well as our busnut community.
I do good at what I do(?), My employees(hopefully) do good at what they do, I am glad Ross & Bruce do good at what they do. ( I will have a hitch & Motorcycle in Arcadia) Grin

Jeremy, 2 points, slam dunk. My Friend has the same vision. I like that. Cool

Bill Glenn

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 05:19:13 PM »

Bill,

We are all waiting for you & Roberta to show up here at Bruces....

Howard is lost without you! lol..

Nick-

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 08:42:21 PM »

Jeremy,

Hmm a thousand pound motorcycle on a short wheelbase 4-wheel drive?   
It seems like that much weight on a light short wheelbase is just asking
for trouble.  I am afraid it would unload the front wheels and cause the
jeep to fishtail going down the road.  But I am only guessing.  Can someone
weigh in with first hand knowledge on this?

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: