Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 12:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need pics and info for...  (Read 2084 times)
arutkow

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »

Interesting install Smiley

I know little about AC units, but the pic of the front unit mounting worries me.  I don't see drilling/anchoring into the end grain of the 2x's as being the ideal way of attachment.  If possible I would use metal, and if wood is the only option, then perhaps cutting NEW blocks that allow attachment/anchoring on the edge of the 2x, as to allow the screws to grip the grain of the wood.

Anyone agree or disagree? Smiley

-Abram

Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »

I know little about AC units, but the pic of the front unit mounting worries me.  I don't see drilling/anchoring into the end grain of the 2x's as being the ideal way of attachment.  If possible I would use metal, and if wood is the only option, then perhaps cutting NEW blocks that allow attachment/anchoring on the edge of the 2x, as to allow the screws to grip the grain of the wood.

Abram,

This is an interesting question.  There are 3 screws going into the frame are at a 45 degree angle which cross the grains. Two which you can see in the picture and one on the bottom of each bracket.  My concern with the grains going the other way was if the screws going vertically up from the bottom (to hold the bottom wood facing in place)would split the wood over time with the vertical forces (bus bouncing up and down) and the whole front could possibly come off as opposed to a horizontal split in the wood where another screw would still be able to hold the weight of the evaporator with the up and down motion of the bus.  Makes you scratch your head and think about it...which I did for a bit before making a decision.  Again - Metal would be the best solution and in the future when I have time, I might take this apart and weld something in.

Let me know what you think.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:40:28 AM »

If the units are really only 15 lbs. that will hold just fine. In building our coach, we've had to do all sorts of unconventional mounts...and they work just fine. In a case like Sean's I would definitely test it by putting some weight on it. If it holds when hanging your body weight, by golly it will hold a 15 lb unit.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: