Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 04, 2015, 07:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North to Alaska  (Read 1018 times)
eb99603

1994 Setra S215, DD S60 w/HT748

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:15:39 AM »

The house is sold. The bus is (mostly) packed. I'm collecting a folder with the printed route, customs declaration items, CoachNet numbers, insurance company numbers, etc. By the start of the weekend we'll be well on our way up to Alaska.

The purpose of this drive is relocation, not leisurely travel so we'll be pushing pretty hard. I picked up the bus down in Florida, and drove it 1800 miles home. Now another 3400 miles up to AK. I have 3 drivers so we should make some pretty good time (assuming no breakdowns). Should be a blast!
IMABUSBOY

1987 MC9 6V92TA "The Sparrow"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »

The first two words that come to mind...I'm jealous! Tongue That said, have a great and safe trip!! Good luck and be sure to post! Smiley
Danny

Happiness is not found at any destination, it can only be found on the journey.
 Keep your eye on the sparrow.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »

Excellent news - drive safe and try and enjoy the drive!
eb99603

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:55:46 AM »

We're on the road! After getting my unloaded, unfueled weight at Precision Frame (32,800 lbs) I started doing a back-of-the-napkin calculation. And then I started getting nervous. A household of belongings weighs a lot, and so does 230 gallons of diesel. Brought it to a CAT scale before embarking and my mind was eased: 4k to spare!

Yesterday we left MN later than anticipated and stopped in Minot, ND. Nothing too eventful other than a pretty nasty rain storm for about 15 miles. Bus is driving well. Inverter and all of the electronics inside are really making for a much more enjoyable experience for the non drivers. We lost a tail light in the rain - apparently water's getting into the housing. Thankfully I have plenty of extras. Much of western MN and ND has had diesel selling less than gasoline. To that I say: booyah.

One thing I did note, however, is that I'm not getting any heat up by the driver. It wasn't a big deal in MN due to the outside temps, but we'll need to get that figured out sooner rather than later or this will become a very uncomfortable drive.

Should be through Canadian customs later today!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:38:31 AM by eb99603 » Logged
eb99603

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 06:41:43 AM »

Other observations from the road...

Smells. The changing smells coming through the HVAC system are fascinating on a road trip. From different crops, to animals, and other vehicles' mechanical issues it's always something new.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »

Ed,

I will totally be watching your thread. I love Alaska. Someday, I will be driving the route myself. Please keep this updated as you can. Already loving the thread!

Cheers,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »

If it was me, I would be trying to figure out how much of the heating system the FL owner removed thinking that he wouldn't be needing. This was a major consideration in our choice. We bought a bus that was converted in MN because it still had heating equipment installed.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: