Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 03, 2015, 01:01:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First big trip in 3856  (Read 291 times)
pennuja

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »

We left yesterday morning to pick up our daughter from summer camp in Ohio, so we figured that we would try to make a vacation out of it.

It was a long drive at 55 about almost 500 mile in 10 hours, we stopped a few times for fuel and to tighten the tow dolly lug nuts. The drive went well, this was the first time I towed anything with the bus and you almost didn't know that the car was back there except that on some hills I had to downshift earlier than I would normally would.

I did have one really scary moment, we were dropping the bus off at a close by church because we could not take the bus to the summer camp and I ended up at a stop sign at the top of a huge hill. I was unable to start without really slipping the clutch which I knew that I did not want to do so I only had one option which was to unhook the toad. Then came the next problem I tried to apply the parking brake but I think with the giant hill and the trailer attached the bus seemed like it wanted to roll with the brake on. Luckily my wife is easy going because she had to run back and unhook the car from the dolly and back it off, she was not happy when she saw how greasy the dolly and car was (I don't think that the dolly will ever rust now), but in the end she did it. After unhooking I was able to start on the hill but I still had to slip the clutch ever so slightly otherwise the bus would not move. That was very scary, I am not sure what I would have done different because of the location of the stop, you could not see it because it was after a turn.

This morning we woke up at Walmart and drove to Leafy Oaks campground which was about an hour away and arrived to a flooded bridge. After looking at it the water was only a few inches deep so we drove through, after unhooking the toad since there was a big hill after the bridge with the registration at the top.

Not too bad for the first two days, hopefully it will stop raining so that we can enjoy the outdoors.

Some pictures and a video of the flooded bridge.

Video - Click to watch.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:00:20 PM by pennuja » Logged

Jim Pennucci
Northwestern NJ
1958 GMC PD-4104-3856
pennuja

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »

Today we went to the rock and roll hall of fame, and got to see the outside of Johnny Cash's bus.

After returning to the campground we moved the bus to West Branch State Park where we will stay for three days.

Parked at the campground.

Johnny Cash's Bus

Jim Pennucci
Northwestern NJ
1958 GMC PD-4104-3856
pennuja

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »

We are in our new spot right by the water, this is a really beautiful park even the bathrooms are nice and clean.

Jim Pennucci
Northwestern NJ
1958 GMC PD-4104-3856
pennuja

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »

Some more pictures of our site.

Jim Pennucci
Northwestern NJ
1958 GMC PD-4104-3856
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print