Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 03:22:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I took the plunge. Repower is on!!!  (Read 1720 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »

Hey all,

I found a MCI 9 shell in California with a really lo mile rebuilt 6v92 and 740 and I fly out on the 5th to LA to pick it up. Talked to JD at C&J coach here in Mpls and he has agreed to lend me his engine stand which makes the switch out pretty simple. The plan right now is to pull the drive train out of the shell bus and put it in mine and take my motor and tranny and put it in the California bus and sell it. I know I have led everyone here to believe that the 8v92 was gonna be my next step but having owned a 4905 with a 6v92 I really liked the fuel mileage and to be honest after 5 years of looking I could just never quite find the right 8v92. So, here we go.

I am so looking forward to doing this with a same year, same model bus. No changing bell housings, no intake or exhaust parts to find at ridiculous prices, no sticking a smoke turbo on.

This is the right choice for me and after having driven a number of 6v92 MCI 9's Im convinced it will be a considerable power difference.

I'll keep everyone in the loop as to my progress.

Rick

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:56:21 PM by RickB » Logged

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »

That's the way to do it Rick you go boy the 6v92 will serve you well if you are headed east on I 40 stop and see me I am 8 miles north of Needles and Az has cheap fuel I saw it for 3.26 today with the 8 cents off for RV's

good luck travel safe

Life is short drink the good wine first
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »

Luvrbus,

I'm gonna make the swing over to see you. Need to meet the guy who has taught me and so many others so much. Looking forward to it Clifford,

Rick

jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »

Good luck Rick, I really hope this one works out for you. Sounds like it should be a easy switch. Jason

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »

Rick just be sure to have the seats removed prior to driving it! (if it still has them!)

If it still has seats you are required to have a CDL to drive it regardless of what you intend to do with it after you get it home!
Grin  BK  Grin
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »

Bryce,

The seats are out but I didn't know that unless they are I'd get stuck somewhere trying to find someone with a CDL to get home. Just found out it doesn't have jakes. Well, we'll have to change that. The bus will be pretty light coming home and the PO says it has great brakes so I'm not too worried as I plan on going through Salt Lake on the way home and not Denver. The PO is a member here and he's got alot of documentation on the rebuilds and the brakes. I'm having him check the date codes on all the tires and I'm gonna make sure I have a decent spare for the drive home. Wifey has been surprisingly on board with this whole idea which just goes to show you persistence pays off in the end .lol.
Rick

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »

Sounds great!

But just be sure to make sure ALL paper work is correct going thru UT!
Trust me I (we all) know someone who had 3 buses they sold to someone up North get stopped and shut down in St. George, UT. (I don't remember what the reason they got stopped, but I do know I was contacted about providing drivers to get them back on their way to their destination!)
Grin  BK  Grin

PS If it were me I'd probably just go across I-40 to Tucumcari and up US 54 or on over to OKC and up I-35 and avoid bot UTAH and Colorado. (just my way)
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:57:15 AM »

B K

Thanks for all the valuable insight on the upcoming trip I really appreciate your first hand knowledge. So, what exactly do I need to have a hassle free ride home. Proof of insurance, bill of sale are the only things we have had on our previous bus purchases. Do the plates that are on the bus have to be current? I do not want to be white knuckling it everytime I see a cop on the way home and I still have some time. The seats are all out of the bus, I'm not carrying anything that could be misconstrued as "commercial". Any thoughts on what else I may need?

Clifford, how hard would it be to throw some jakes in this old girl while I'm passing through your area?  I'm thinking that's gonna be a heck of alot easier to do with the motor out but i've never installed them before.

Thanks again Bryce

Rick

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 06:02:50 AM »

Rick,

I second BK. Stay south. Not to mention you have less of a risk of being layed up by a snowstorm, needing chains, yada yada. It isn't much longer at all, and has the potential for being a much easier drive.

I am glad you took the plunge. Enjoy the ride. Good time of year for that.

Keep us updated, and have a safe trip.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »

Iam going to third BKs suggestion, took the southern route this year for first time, way better drive than going though UT, your going uphill all the way from Cliffords house to Rawlins WY, let alone the SLC crazy traffic..good luck

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 06:21:16 AM »

Southern route it is then. I'm convinced.

Rick

Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 06:23:40 AM »

Hey Matt,

If you can drive in SLC you can drive anywhere. I'd rather not take on Eisenhower without Jakes though.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 06:33:15 AM »

Hey Mike, I can drive in SLC, just don't like it, not my drivin im worried about, lol
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:35:10 AM by saddleup » Logged

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »

Hey Matt,

If you can drive in SLC you can drive anywhere. I'd rather not take on Eisenhower without Jakes though.

Heard that. We did most of the big hills out west without Jakes, and that is something I don't care to repeat. Eisenhower was gear down, and crawl down.

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »

B K

Thanks for all the valuable insight on the upcoming trip I really appreciate your first hand knowledge. So, what exactly do I need to have a hassle free ride home. Proof of insurance, bill of sale are the only things we have had on our previous bus purchases. Do the plates that are on the bus have to be current? I do not want to be white knuckling it everytime I see a cop on the way home and I still have some time. The seats are all out of the bus, I'm not carrying anything that could be misconstrued as "commercial". Any thoughts on what else I may need?

Clifford, how hard would it be to throw some jakes in this old girl while I'm passing through your area?  I'm thinking that's gonna be a heck of alot easier to do with the motor out but i've never installed them before.

Thanks again Bryce

Rick

My suggestion is take your plate from your current bus with you.
Also like Clifford says (you know I never disagree with YODA) id you can get a CA temp plate that would be the way to go.

I'd think with a bill of sale and title (one or both notarized of course) and either a temp plate or your own plate you should be good.
Yes I know the VIN will not match if you end up using your plate. But if a temp plate is not available at least your plate is registered to you and a similar bus.

I really don't think you'll have any problems as long as the seats are removed and you have the bill of sale & title especially since it's already registered as an RV!
Grin  BK  Grin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: