Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 10:12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maiden voyage of the Ark  (Read 2551 times)
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »

Finally using my bus! As a uhaul truck, but still. I'm in the process of moving to Hickory, NC. So far I've been making good progress on my rookie mistakes checklist. I've marked off:
Didnt check the jeep toad after my wife was in it and took off with steering wheel locked.
Started with ancient tires on rear and blew one first day.
Bottomed out leaving a gas station, ripping off an oil line.
Took off before park brake was fully disegaged, sticking a rear brake.

So far its been an adventure and a learning experience. We are still having fun, although that fun has been a bit on the grimy side thus far. Any other rookie mistakes I should try to get out of the way early?

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:16:14 AM »

Did the same thing with my brakes and tires, the guys in Blytheville got me doing the right procedure on the parking brake and I caught the bad tire before it blew by inspecting them every night of the trip.

My spring project is to get all the wheels off the bus, inspect and adjust all the brakes and learn more about the brake system.....and of course see if I can fix the ever present air leaks.

Good luck with the move!

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »

When you get moved into  Hickory.  Be sure and look us up.

Headed to Genes in may.

Should be a nice bunch of busnuts there.

uncle ned
4104 HUGGY BEAR

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:39:27 AM »

I an in NC also.. maybe we will meet up

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »

I would highly suggest a tire pressure monitoring system to help avoid major tire issues.  I had two sidewall punctures on my trailer last year and the driver was alerted before the pressure got low enough for the tire to shred or something even worse.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »

Unhook the 50 Amp shore cord PRIOR to moving the bus!

Ask me how I know?! Roll Eyes

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »

PA bus nut.......I came within seconds of doing that about a month ago....very scary, I'm sure the results of ripping a 50A plug off would not have been pretty.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:01:12 AM »

Its even worse when you pull the transfer switch out.

And then have to repair it in front of a bunch of eagle folks.

Two trips to Lowes in myrtle beach

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:21:48 AM »

Fortunately the cord was not plugged in, but I guess the running over it with the front tire helped keep it "grounded."  It snagged the open bay door, and twisted it all up, tore out the grommet in the bay wall and ripped a 3" slice in the bay wall, and ripped the 50Amp cord in half!  I was so sick I didn't do anything else that day. Sad

Well, at least I am helping to keep the hobby alive by keeping Luke in Business! Grin Grin

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:53:22 AM »

This is the reason I do a walk around! Roll Eyes
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:02:14 AM »

I now always make a point of walking completely around my bus and looking underneath it before every time I start the engine, just to check if I had a Senior Moment and have forgotten something.   Last year (before I started doing this) when I was driving back along I-15 I kept hearing a faint knocking sound, and I thought I was seeing something moving out the corner of my eye.   It turned out to be an access door under the driver's side window that I hadn't secured, and it was swinging up as the wind caught it.   Fortunately no problems because of that, but it could have been a lot worse.

Rick, I've been following your trials and tribulations on CCJ.   It sounds like you have a sportscar of a bus now with that much power.   Fun!

John  

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Kevin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »

Haaaa!!! That's a GOOD one Uncle Ned!  Grin

I was at Stateline at Buffalo Bill's for a rally some years ago. I had to install a new cord cap on our shore power cord after we got there in order to hook us up and get the air-conditioner blowing. Got 'er done and later, while we were over with the rest of the "nuts" chowing down and having some refreshments, all of a sudden there was a great howl of protest from folks in one area of the RV park where a lot of very nice coaches where parked.

Seems that some sort of power spike or something or other had occurred and "blew up" more than one rig's electrics. I quietly excused myself, and under a wave of panic hurried back to our coach thinking that perhaps I'd screwed up my cord cap installation and caused a major incident at the park. To my relief, the air was purring away nice and ice cold when I stepped into our '04! It took a couple shots of tequila to slick my fur back before I made my way back to the group.  Shocked

Kevin

"To the gov!!!"
siberyd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »

Ok walk around the coach twice before leaving just in case you missed something the first time.

I will continue to learn from everyone elses oop's moments.

Siberyd

1964 White/Carpenter 35' RE 3208 Husky Camp
1957 PD 4104-2240 Converted Siberyd

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/26R13/
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »

Well, our trip is at an end. A drunk driver pulled out in front of us and i hit him at about 45. He lived thanks to side impact airbags. I didnt really get hurt. My wife has some contusions and a fractured patella.  Bus is hurt bad. I know Crowns dont carry the cachet of the eagles etc, but she was a good runner and I want to bring her back. To be continued.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 11:41:23 PM »

Rick -

Man, what a bummer!   Cry

So, here comes the first barrage of questions:

Are YOU ok - other than frustrated? 

Wife going to be OK?  (Obviously, we're all glad neither one of you were seriously hurt.)

How far did you get before this happened?  (Where did it happen?)

Is the bus still drivable?  Need a front end clip?

Drunk have insurance?

Police report?  Drunk cited?

Possible you might be able to post a pic of front end damage?

Enquiring minds want to know. . .

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: