Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 12:34:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing a driver a/c?  (Read 891 times)
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:09:37 PM »

Original house ac was pulled by the PO but those long drives in the fl sun are miserable. You literally have to put sun block on. And stay hydrated.

Sometime last year we pulled the radiator in the front (I think it's the evaporator) and scraped it. I would have kept it but you know... Blower and all that is still there

I'm thinking about pulling a complete system from a smaller vehicle and fitting it into the mc9. Anyone ever do anything like this? I'm sure it won't be too hard, all the original lines are still running down the middle

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:02 PM »

Jon -

Best would be to find somebody scrapping an MC8 or 9 and pull the entire HVAC defroster system out of the dash and re-install in your coach.  Call Luke in NJ to see if he might have one: 1-888-262-2434

MC-9s came from the factory with Driver's A/C, so no sense trying to re-invent the wheel for the dash components - especially since OEM is properly sized for the dash.

Figure out a way to drive an automotive compressor off the OEM compressor pulley on the 8V, and hang a condenser on the curbside transmission access door.

Welch Industries in Stockbridge, GA (outside Atlanta), has done a lot of custom bus A/C work, would also be a good source for help.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:10:50 AM »

Most DIY folks use the Red Dot ,Pro Air or other manufactures evaporators sizing the compressor and getting the right amount of oil and freon can be a challenge to me you are wasting time and money to install a unit like you buy from the hot rod shops for a automobile

If you lived in Az we have a place in Phoenix that is very helpful with helping and supplying the parts needed

www.ackits.com

good luck
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:12:58 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »

I added a Welsh unit in my MC-8. I used all the org. things in the dash. the welsh compressor mounts in the blower compartment. the trick is running the lines. I also added a condenser mid ship for the kitchen area. Worked well.
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:33:54 AM »

Original house ac was pulled by the PO but those long drives in the fl sun are miserable. You literally have to put sun block on. And stay hydrated.

Sometime last year we pulled the radiator in the front (I think it's the evaporator) and scraped it. I would have kept it but you know... Blower and all that is still there

I'm thinking about pulling a complete system from a smaller vehicle and fitting it into the mc9. Anyone ever do anything like this? I'm sure it won't be too hard, all the original lines are still running down the middle

You may find some ideals in this thread.
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=24326.msg267123#msg267123

Ken
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:02:05 AM by Hard Headed Ken » Logged

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »

Thanks Ken. Good info to help me put mine together within the year.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »

Dunno fur sures.  He installed an A/C unit in the front dash of his older Crown Supercoach.  I think his installation story may be in the archives.  He still has the Crown...I think.  HB of CJ (old coot) Now Crown...less Sad
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

What about just ducting your roof air? Works for us

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: