Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 06:14:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCD Blinds any good  (Read 968 times)
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:45 AM »

Yesterday we went and toured some high end RV's and weren't really impressed. There were many with tile wall paper. Whats up with that/
Anyway we saw a lot of them with Day & Night shades and they had the name on the bottom "MCD". Like those a lot. My question is do any of you have them and are they good for heat as well as ease of use. Checked out the website and measured our bus windows. Looks like it is pricey  for $1,800.00 but if we can get rid of curtain tie backs and bubble wrap in the summer or winter, it might be worth it. That is for the double roller 100% UV and the heavy vinyl (Flat not pleated) black out blind. Manual pull down and we install. They really seem to work well and look very clean and nice.
I have no business relationship with this company or profit there in. We just like their blinds and were needing you alls knowledge.
http://mcdinnovations.com/

Dave5Cs
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:34:11 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »

We considered those when we redid our bedroom. Wouldn't work for us because my wife had me remove the boxes around the windows to make more room. Walk room at the foot of the crossways bed and head room at the head of the bed. She liked the more open feeling too, without the boxes. Those boxes are needed with the MCD blinds, otherwise nothing to keep the blinds from flopping around when they are down. She got new pleated day-night shades instead. I agree that MCD shades are very nice, but pricey.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »

Hey Dave,
I have them in my bus and really like them. They do an amazing job with heat transfer also. I do however have one of the larger ones that likes to migrate down a little when driving down the road. I haven't checked to see if it can be tightened up, but I'm sure it can. I have homemade wood guides built around them to keep them from flopping around. Here is a couple of pictures, there the only ones I have on my phone but you'll get the idea.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:27:28 AM »

Agree on the MCD blinds, have the electric for windshield That works great for sun control plus one over the step/door also remote electric, that works great when north bound in the AM.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »

Sam Thanks, I think I can devise something that doesn't take up to much room. 1 of our curtains on each side will be about 73" long and will only need something at each end. I believe I will only need a piece of aluminum channel. I already have a piece of 1x6 oak at the top in all room that is out 2" from wall so the rollers will fit behind that.

Gary those are nice but we have 3 Cats with us when in the coach and they would tear those up. These ones we looked at are actually flat, no pleats and heavy vinyl. The day shade is heavy black shade cloth type material. They might be able to get claws in it but the holes are so small and somehow tilted down that it would be tough to do. Strong stuff too.
Gary also there is an adjustment screw on the side  end at least on the rollup type for tension and stop.

Dave ya, no electric, for 395.00 extra per window, ( while very nice, ain't gonna happen) but we might get the driver window and door shades as well. We have UV curtains the wife made in the front window that keep it very cool.

As always thank you for your valued opinions.  Grin

Dave5Cs
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:40:42 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:10:31 PM »

I have a conversion in the shop for some upgrades, they just had the MCD roller blinds installed, I really like them.  They did have the boxes installed but didnt like them, so we removed them and left the roller blinds exposed.  They look great, but this bus has an industrial/modern look, so it works.

They seem to be really good material, this bus has the power blinds over the windshields, both day and night rollers.  Again, very nice, but the rod they have in them is flexible and when hot it bows in, due to the slanted windshield. I think we'll be replacing those with steel rods so they dont bend in.  Other than that, I really like them.

My $.02

Todd Reid
Midwest Coachworks, llc
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »

We have the same type but are Hunter Douglas cordless they were pricey also

Life is short drink the good wine first
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 03:46:02 AM »

Dave5C,
No recall of price, but were not that much,  I tend to not pay the price after going thru several hands, meaning I buy dirrect from MCD.  But the main event for me is being able to change the shade/blind while moving.  I travel 99% alone while the DW cat sits her babies.  Works for us both.  Grin
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 04:01:09 AM »

$395 extra for the electric motor for each window?!!!!  That is one tank of fuel per window for me.......

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »

Ed I hear yas. We really like the roller blinds and the heavy vinyl block all at night or in the day. The screen sun fabric you can see through from the inside but you can't see in from the outside. They even have pull up screens for the door and drivers window.

I was thinking motorized until I saw the price and that is from the factory MCD, Dave M. Could also get 1 curtain manual and 1 with the motor or just get the single vinyl blind and not the solar screen but then we lose the heat factor.
After adding them all up 2- 80" x 25, 2 -73 x 25, 1-54 x 25, 1-48 x 25, 1 30 x 25, and front ones just single roller because they are 4-1/2 " down for the rollers x 2" out. 1 43 x 29, 1- 44-3/4 x 27-1/2. Plus the 2 side front window pull up sun screens. Total figured so far in 1,655.00, plus shipping to Northern California from Dallas Texas.

We figure it will be a one time deal because you can get replacement material if needed down the road.

We also are looking at A&E Elite 9000 ( to match our awning we have 16' X 8")window Awnings which are about the same as the blinds in price. We thought we were getting them for 1100.00 for 5 of them and then we notice that they don't come with the hardware. It is extra 95.00 per awning. But again that is a one time deal unless one gets broken.

Thanks for your ideas, Dave5Cs
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:47:33 AM by Dave5Cs » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »

All the blinds use the Somfy motor they are pricey I bought 3 for the roll-a -shades at the house best price I found on the Somfy were 275 bucks for the one without remote control they were 400 bucks ea for remote controls plus the remote for 125 bucks extra the wife has to push a switch plus the remote doesn't get lost

Life is short drink the good wine first
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »

We've been very happy with OEM Blinds out of Penna. Pricey but have had them for 12 years and they are bulletproof. Day night works great.
Just my .02 cents worth.
http://www.oemshades.com/PRV.HTM
Mke in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: