Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 02:07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Seat Air Supply  (Read 1530 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »

No this is not a musical question concerning bad 80's music.

I just acquired a used truck seat with air ride and I am wondering about the air supply for the seat ( not the musical group  Roll Eyes). I have an MCI 8 with the air tank under the drivers seat and ALL the air plumbing in the spare tire compartment.

Where is the best spot to tap in that will not affect the air system operation and still supply the air for the seat.

Thanks for the help.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »

Any where on the auxiliary side will work Mel but you are going to need a regulator some people don't use the regulator but I find it makes for a easy adjustment 

Find the tank the air horns are tied into that is a good spot

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

Cool

Thanks Clifford I will tie in just before the air horn button (still right there on the floor and works) BUT what kind of regulator should I use ---- the same type as on the air tensioner Huh and what should it be set at for pressure.

Thanks for the help.

Melbo

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »

Something cheap Mel like one of the presets off a bus Eddie probably has a garage full you may do alright without one but, when the 125 lbs hits the seat control it goes up in a hurry and it hurts don't ask I know that coming down was a lot better  Roll Eyes 50 or 60 lbs work nice
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:49:30 PM by luvrbus » Logged

gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »

An air ride seat is a waste of time in a modern bus such as yours. In my '54 4104 it was necessary but my '66 4107 rides so much better I have just a regular sea, there is no need for an air ride.

I'm pretty sure your later bus has at least as good a suspension as my ole '66 even if it is an off-brand!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »

I did not buy the seat for the air ride it just came that way. When you sit on it with no air it settles down way low. I figured it was easier to use it like it was designed to be used rather than try to do some re imagining of what it could work like.  It also has manual and electric adjustments --- I guess the electric is also a waste of time when I can adjust the seat manually but I will connect it as well. Also as a side note I already had a drivers seat that I have used since I bought the bus but now I am replacing it and will use it somewhere else. All in all I'm sure it is all a waste of time BUT you should see the grin on my face while I waste it. Thanks for the heads up Gus.

Melbo

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »

While I run with the air seat all the way down most the time, the air seat comes in handy when you want to reposition your self if running into the sun. I pump it up all the way to block the sun at times. You'll have fun with it.
Now all you need is an air ride shower! Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »

Well air ride sure won't hurt  Wink

I pulled one out of a UPS truck, they had a simple plastic regulator with plastic lines.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »

The air part is only for adjusting to the driver weight, it is not for height. That is the reason for elect and manual adjustments. I'm sure you already know this but a lot of people don't.

Pressure too low and you hit bottom on bumpy roads, too high and it ejects you out the bus roof!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »

The air seats adjust for height and weight the non air systems trucks now have air seats with a built in 12v compressors you see that seat on lots of farm equipment too times have changed

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »

I had an air line in the driver's area going to solenoids that sent air to the luggage door locks.  I removed the air locks as they were a pain.  I reused the air line for my air ride seat.  It doesn't seem like it gets too much air.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »

I always wanted an air ride seat so I could bounce up and down like the yahoo's on Ice Road Truckers...  I figured with the 50 lb clutch pedal on my MCI if I pressed the clutch the seat would go up and the pedal would stay where it was...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »

True, I always let the air out of mine when I come into town and need the clutch!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:37:39 PM »

I had to learn to drive with the heel of my right foot planted on the floor, not the pedal. Lots of bouncing can make it difficult to apply partial cruise throttle as the distance between your leg, foot, and the pedal is changing.

Scott

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »

I have damaged L4 & L5 discs in my lower back due to an air ride seat that collapsed on me suddenly when the bellows burst as the air-suspended coach was traversing a washboard section of pavement at 25 mph. 

Seat belted in, coach went down, seat followed.  Coach hit lowest point of roadway, started back up.  Seat still going down as coach started back up, bellows burst, seat bottomed out, coach coming up threw seat upward also.  Coach reached high point of washboard, started back down again while seat's still going up.  Seat reached max upward travel, got yanked back down by coach's downward travel, where it roughly bottomed out again and stayed there. 

Driver's back (mine) was subjected to compression, then severe extension (being held by seat belt), then severe compression again.

Ouch!

Only good thing to come out of it was physician put me off for a month while it healed.  Today it only bothers me after 2-3 hrs driving the car or truck; behind the wheel of a bus - with the more vertical seating position - is much less fatiguing.

So just a head's up about the remote possibility of it happening to someone else. 

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: